DMN Women comes up 2 pts short

OldTimer

North Texas comes up two points short

08:52 PM CST on Sunday, November 30, 2003

From Staff Reports

VESTAL, N.Y. – North Texas couldn't hold a four-point lead in the final minute and lost to Binghamton in the championship of the Time Warner Classic on Sunday.

Binghamton (3-1) put five players in double figures to win its third in a row – the team's longest win streak since the 2001-02.

With North Texas ahead, 57-56, with 11 seconds remaining, Kate Townley drove to the basket and was fouled. After making both free throws she rebound a North Texas miss at the other end and was fouled again. With three seconds left, she made another foul shot for the final margin. A last-second North Texas 3-pointer was just off the mark.

Townley was the tournament MVP.

North Texas was led by junior guard Jill Medlock, who scored 11 points and had eight rebounds. Medlock and sophomore forward Jamie Armstrong were named to the all-tournament team. Other members of the team were Lonnie Brown (Canisius) and Amaka Agugua (Hofstra).

Binghamton 59, North Texas 57

NORTH TEXAS (3-2) – Blanton 3-7 2-2 8, Armstrong 1-7 8-10 10, Haskin 0-3 0-0 0, Bobo 3-8 0-0 6, Medlock 3-7 2-2 7, Wali 0-0 0-0 0, Williams 1-4 0-0 3, Wilson 2-4 3-4 7, Edwards 1-6-2-2 4, Klat 3-8 0-0 6, Ajekwu 1-1 0-0 2. Totals 18-55 17-20 57.

BINGHAMTON (3-1) – Wegwerth 5-7 1-2 11, Hibler 0-4 0-0 0, Blues 4-7 0-0 10, Laws 4-11 3-5 11, Townley 2-5 6-8 10, Deemand 0-2 0-0 0, Haubrich 1-8 1-3 3, Lindgren 0-2 0-0 0, Thompson 0-0 0-0 0, Dypolt 6-6 2-4 14, Forkey 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 22-52 13-22 59.

Halftime– North Texas 32, Binghamton 30. 3-point goals– North Texas 4-10 (Medlock 3-5, Williams 1-2, Edwards 0-2, Armstrong 0-1), Binghamton 2-5 (Blues 2-2, Deemand 0-1, Haubrich 0-1, Lindgren 0-1). Fouled out– none. Rebounds– North Texas 41 (Medlock 8), Binghamton 35 (Townley 10). Assists– North Texas 10 (Armstrong 4), Binghamton 13 (Townley 5). Total fouls– North Texas 19, Binghamton 17. A– 863.

Search

DallasNews.com

The Archives

Archives: More information on this or other topics from The Dallas Morning News.

Subscribe to The Dallas Morning News.

Today's Binghamton Press & Sun Bulletin reports that Jamie Armstrong's shot in the final seconds came "amid a lot of physical contact," and the paper quotes Coach Slinker as saying, "We can't really comment, but you just want it to be called the same on both ends of the floor in those situations."

The newspaper adds:

"Jill Medlock . . . was more forthcoming. 'Officiating should not determine the outcome of a game,' Medlock said, wiping her eyes as if she had been crying. 'I feel like it did because they got calls we didn't get.'"

Oh well, at least the Binghamton newspaper gave UNT a fair hearing. I live only 80 miles from Binghamton but could not get down for the game -- I wish I could have gone, because I doubt if anyone else was booing in those final seconds.