Benford, I told you so

GMG24

I met TB during Luke Kornet's senior year when he had 0 offers and was desperately looking. He had grown from 6'5 his jr year to 6'10" over the summer. He had a shot, but was physically immature. He was a genius (scored perfect score on math portion of SAT, which is why his parents never held him back a grade to let his age catch up.  See attached story, but I told Tony he needed to get out and look at this kid.  I did the same thing just recently with a kid named Grant Lair a 6'5" wing who can flat out shoot. Grant plays at JJ Pearce but doesn't play aau bc he didn't want to miss church every Sunday.  I got the same reply on Grant as I did with Luke. "I will have my guys look at him." Bet you wish you listened to me back then huh TB? He (Luke) would have signed on the spot... 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2597403-from-college-afterthought-to-nba-prospect-the-stunning-rise-of-luke-kornet

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Wow, Bleacher Report just made up a damn caption for that photo out of nowhere. It's my photo of Luke hugging his dad (who was the Liberty head coach) after they lost the 2013 TAPPS 5A State-Semifinal to Nolan Catholic. 

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/high-schools/high-schools-headlines/20130302-boys-basketball-nolan-eliminates-liberty.ece?ssimg=911770#ssStory911572

DRC_030113_LibertyVsFWNolan14.jpg

Back onto topic, he was a really nice kid and his dad is cool too. We blew it. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I met TB during Luke Kornet's senior year when he had 0 offers and was desperately looking. He had grown from 6'5 his jr year to 6'10" over the summer. He had a shot, but was physically immature. He was a genius (scored perfect score on math portion of SAT, which is why his parents never held him back a grade to let his age catch up.  See attached story, but I told Tony he needed to get out and look at this kid.  I did the same thing just recently with a kid named Grant Lair a 6'5" wing who can flat out shoot. Grant plays at JJ Pearce but doesn't play aau bc he didn't want to miss church every Sunday.  I got the same reply on Grant as I did with Luke. "I will have my guys look at him." Bet you wish you listened to me back then huh TB? He (Luke) would have signed on the spot... 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2597403-from-college-afterthought-to-nba-prospect-the-stunning-rise-of-luke-kornet

Clearly the kid was off everyone's radar, but that's a huge miss for a lot of schools. It seems like Liberty is really churning out legit D1 athletes. I have a feeling next time a kid with his potential comes through he will get offers. I believe he was probably past over because it's liberty and not Kimbell or skyline. Hopefully next time a kid with that potential gets d1 attention.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Clearly the kid was off everyone's radar, but that's a huge miss for a lot of schools. It seems like Liberty is really churning out legit D1 athletes. I have a feeling next time a kid with his potential comes through he will get offers. I believe he was probably past over because it's liberty and not Kimbell or skyline. Hopefully next time a kid with that potential gets d1 attention.

Doesn't matter, if they would have even stopped by Liberty they would have met his dad (HC) who played in the League developed late just like Luke, etc.. They didn't even stop by.  I don't disagree it was better for Luke in the long run, I am just pointing out that it was a complete wiff on a guy who was handed to the coaching staff, his dad asked me to talk to them so it wasn't dad selling a kid, THEY DIDNT EVEN FOLLOW UP! Much like I am sure they won't with Grant Lair, who will get offers late and when he is knocking down 3s on us I will make another thread and say I told you so, again. 

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Doesn't matter, if they would have even stopped by Liberty they would have met his dad (HC) who played in the League developed late just like Luke, etc.. They didn't even stop by.  I don't disagree it was better for Luke in the long run, I am just pointing out that it was a complete wiff on a guy who was handed to the coaching staff, his dad asked me to talk to them so it wasn't dad selling a kid, THEY DIDNT EVEN FOLLOW UP! Much like I am sure they won't with Grant Lair, who will get offers late and when he is knocking down 3s on us I will make another thread and say I told you so, again. 

I don't disagree. Liberty just isn't on a lot of radars just yet. Although with the QB going to TAMU they may get more looks now from the big boys. Most likely there will be someone else recruiting come spring anyway. There is a freshman at Guyer I wish UNT would recruit as well but even if they did he will probably going to a bigger name school.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

41 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I don't disagree. Liberty just isn't on a lot of radars just yet. Although with the QB going to TAMU they may get more looks now from the big boys. Most likely there will be someone else recruiting come spring anyway. There is a freshman at Guyer I wish UNT would recruit as well but even if they did he will probably going to a bigger name school.

Little OU found Ben Habern... At Liberty he was our first big time D1 guy, before him we sent a kid to Rice, a few years later, Mitchell to UNT ( he was an Aubrey transfer), and his FB Hartle went to Hawaii.  If you're good enough they find you!! 

10 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Little OU found Ben Habern... At Liberty he was our first big time D1 guy, before him we sent a kid to Rice, a few years later, Mitchell to UNT ( he was an Aubrey transfer), and his FB Hartle went to Hawaii.  If you're good enough they find you!! 

Is the kid to rice Justin Engler? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Hopefully we will have a new staff for you to contact in March...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

So let me get this straight.  You would have been praising Benford on the first day to sign if he had signed a player that had no offers . 

A 6'10" kid that could shoot from 3 whose dad played in the league, who was only 16 or 17 as a senior, and had a perfect score on the math portion of the SAT?

That's a risk I would have been more than happy to take. Don't get football and basketball recruiting confused, my friend. Again, it wouldn't have mattered, as this kid wouldn't have gotten what he needed to develop at UNT.

Let's just all hope the terrible coach is fired by the terrible AD at the end of another terrible season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Recruiting for 90% (my approximation) of D1 basketball is an educated guess.  I have been disappointed with many of Benford's past recruits.  However, I had Johnny tell me on a few occasions "wait until you see" a named recruit, and the player never panned out.  

• Upvote 3

Coaches are always going to overblow recruits to the common fan. Good Lord, people. Do you expect a coach to say "well, we had a scholly left, so we figured this guy might someday turn into something. so we took a shot. I mean, we couldn't get the guy we really wanted, so why not take a chance, right?"

It's called coach speak.

Saying recruiting is 90% chance makes you sound like Rick VIllarreal when he makes one of his many ridiculous excuses while covering up for a mistake.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

31 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Saying recruiting is 90% chance makes you sound like Rick VIllarreal when he makes one of his many ridiculous excuses while covering up for a mistake.

I did not say chance, I said an educated guess (to wit: a guess based knowledge and experience).  Further, that is a reference to recruiting for 90% of D1 teams.  The teams that are consistently top 25-30 teams get who they want.  That is not an excuse for anybody.  If a coach consistently misses on his judgment of talent and/or can't coach what he has recruited then he is accountable.  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

When Johnny said "wait till you see this guy, he can hit 3s from anywhere beyond the arc", I took him on his word.  It was a personal conversation and he was genuinely exited.  He wasn't standing behind a podium blowing smoke. 

I watched Clark in person and was shocked he couldn't contribute. He needed some work in certain areas for sure. But that kid could fill the bucket up!

• Upvote 1