I may get obliterated on this question...

Tyler Maryak

I don't know really anything about the politics of college football, so I'm sure there are reasons why this is a bad idea, but I'm curious, so I'll ask.

If Canales does what he did in 2010 and wins 3 or 4 games for the rest of this season somehow, why shouldn't we offer him the HC job?  Maybe just one year for now, to see what he can do.  Let him bring in his own OC and see what happens.  It seems like we're going to have to start the recruiting battle basically fresh anyway, so could it really hurt that much?

Canales is impressing me with his press conference so far (particularly RE:  social media use).  Hearing the man speak, he's convincing me that he has the makings of a good leader.

Anyway, feel free to educate me...just please be gentle!

Thanks MGfam.

I think if Canales can string together three or four wins, he should be included in the interview process.  If he wins five - and, I've already said I don't think he will - I think he should be given the job at least for the remainder of the contract he has in place, making adjustments to it, of course, for salary, coaches show, etc.

We will truly discover whether Chico was handcuffed by Mac.  I fought that idea in my head until the bitter end - down 21-0 with 14+ minutes left in the Portland State game when McNulty was trotted back out there.  I don't think there is any way in freezing hell Chico made that call.  And, I don't think he made the call to play Greer for two series when we were down 59-0 and 66-0. 

It's going to be Chico and Smith from here on out.  I know the kids played markedly better with Chico at the helm in 2010.  Wouldn't shock me at all if it happens again. 

Little known fact:  Canales coached the Snow JUCO softball team for seven years while he was an assistant football coach there, and they won six regional titles.  So, if things keep going south for the softball team, and Canales is passed over for the football job...Canales to softball?

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 1

I think if Canales can string together three or four wins, he should be included in the interview process.  If he wins five - and, I've already said I don't think he will - I think he should be given the job at least for the remainder of the contract he has in place, making adjustments to it, of course, for salary, coaches show, etc.

We will truly discover whether Chico was handcuffed by Mac.  I fought that idea in my head until the bitter end - down 21-0 with 14+ minutes left in the Portland State game when McNulty was trotted back out there.  I don't think there is any way in freezing hell Chico made that call.  And, I don't think he made the call to play Greer for two series when we were down 59-0 and 66-0. 

It's going to be Chico and Smith from here on out.  I know the kids played markedly better with Chico at the helm in 2010.  Wouldn't shock me at all if it happens again. 

Little known fact:  Canales coached the Snow JUCO softball team for seven years while he was an assistant football coach there, and they won six regional titles.  So, if things keep going south for the softball team, and Canales is passed over for the football job...Canales to softball?

Canales contract is over this year  

Then, give him a three year deal.  No more Five Year Plans, Chairmen Lenin and Mao.

Coaches have turned it around quicker at bigger places.  We're in Sun Belt Re-Loaded.  Get with it!

I am not worried about he it is not coming back best of luck to him. 

Edited by KingDL1