SBC looks strong OOC this weekend

Reb UT '70

Some of these teams look pretty good, but we won't know until later in the season just how good we are.

Friday Aug 30

Arkansas-Little Rock d. Alabama A&M, 4-0

Baylor d. Louisiana-Lafayette, 3-0

Samford d. Western Kentucky, 2-0

Southwest Missouri d. Middle Tennessee, 1-0

Western Carolina d. Florida International, 3-1

Arkansas State d. McNeese State, 3-1

Saturday Aug 31

North Texas d. Nicholls State, 7-1

South Alabama d. Jackson State, 18-0

*Head coach Mike Varga's 100th career win.

Sunday Sept 1

Arkansas-Little Rock d. McNeese State, 4-1

Arkansas State d. Alabama A&M, 3-1

Denver d. Fresno State, 2-0

Eastern Illinois d. Middle Tennessee, 1-0

North Texas d. Duquesne, 6-0

South Alabama d. Prairie View A&M, 16-0

Western Kentucky d. Birmingham Southern, 3-1

Florida International vs. Memphis, tie 1-1

Louisiana-Lafayette vs. TCU, tie 1-1

Denver looks to have beaten a soccer power this weekend, USA posted some much stronger than expected scores against some weak opponantes. P A&M started soccer this year for example, but they might be a factor. FIU also did better than expected with some powerful foes. W. Ky didn't do as well as I would have thought. So after the first week I would rank SBC as follows

1. Denver & UNT

3. FIU

4. W.KY & USA

6. MTSU (looked stronger than expected also

7. La La

8. the AK schools who have have won more games this season than all of last season... well almost.

It is hard to relate soccer scores to football, but an 18-0 would be a lot worse than a 100-0 I would put it closer to 200-0. It's the kind of score that makes you ashamed to post in the paper, but teams that USA beat were first year programs. Since Jackson State doesn't list soccer as a varsity sport I'm not sure they have 'ship players yet. In that game, the coach's 100th win, the reserve goalkeeper scored one and got an assist playing as a forward in her first ever play as a field player.

When your reserve goalie scores, you just can't keep the score down. They had 21 of their 22 players with more than 20 minutes of play and Jackson didn't have a single sub. I don't think USA got a lot from playing in that tourney.

USA spent 10 day in late July and early August honing their skill in Europe. That sort of training is becoming common among top programs and it shows in their scores and play during the season. Teams are allowed to do that once every four years under NCAA rules.

We're going to have to wait a few weeks until USA faces some good teams to know just how good they are, but even against weak teams those scores have to stand out.