UNT signee Tillman Johnson heading to next level

Harry

Seven McNeil student athletes celebrated their signing day on Feb. 5 in the McNeil gymnasium.

Out of the seven who signed their national letter of intent, three were football players. Defensive end Zach Vaughan, defensive end Tillman Johnson and defensive tackle Soloman Perdue all made it official that they’re going to be playing on after high school.

“They all started for us since they were sophomores and have just done an outstanding job,” Mavericks coach Lee Penland said. “All three of them have been our best players for three years now.”

Johnson chose North Texas University after de-committing from Texas State University.

“When I went up there I was showed a really good time and made me feel comfortable,” Johnson said. “It felt like a family up there. When they came to my house I felt like I was already a part of the Mean Green family.”

He won’t have to travel far from Round Rock to play his first game because the Mean Green play at the University of Texas on Aug. 30.

“We play at UT next year, that’s an opportunity that you just can’t miss,” Johnson said.

Read more: http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/mavs-heading-to-next-level/ndKyM/

I've been rewatching all these guys film lately and looking at our roster down the road, and I see Tillman Johnson being a 3-year starter. I see him being in the rotation this year and taking over for either Q Brown or Darryl Mason after this year. He might only be 6'1" or 6'2", but he has a good build and long arms, and he could potentially play strongside or weakside defensive end. Really love this pickup and this class.

Forgot to add, we had some players offensively and defensively with some crazy stats. Brandon Garner had 10 sacks as a linebacker, Andrew Jones giving up just one completion all year, Goree's 28 receiving tds and all the other skill guys putting up crazy numbers, but Tillman Johnson's numbers seemed to get overlooked by us. Tillman had 7 sacks, and an astounding 37 tackles for loss and 4 forced fumbles. Coach em up Coach KP!

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2