Rice stumbles in loss to North Texas

Harry

Both teams were coming off lopsided victories on Oct. 26.

The Owls were led on the ground by senior running back Charles Ross. Ross carried the ball18 times for 101 yards, but the Schertz native was out of the game during the eight-play stretch near the Mean Green goal line.

Bailiff said Ross suffered a stinger and was not cleared by the medical staff to come back out during that drive.

UNT committed two fourth down penalties to extend Rice’s drive. The second penalty gave Rice first-and-goal at the UNT 3-yard line.

From four yards out, McHargue ran backwards, evaded tacklers and then ran forward but was tackled on fourth down before he could get rid of the ball.

“That’s the situation where I just have to put it up and have our guys make a play on it,” McHargue said. “I was running around way too long there. It felt like forever.”

McHargue completed 18 of 22 passes for 222 yards two touchdowns and two interceptions to UNT defensive back Marcus Trice, including a late interception as time was winding down in contest.

The Owls’ point total (16) and their third-down conversions (2 of 13) were both season lows.

“We got in a lot of long third downs,” McHargue said. “That was a big factor in why we had such a bad third-down percentage. We really never found any momentum. We’d have a big play and then shoot ourselves in the foot. And I gotta take care of the football. At the end of the day, that’s the biggest thing.”

Read more: http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2013/10/gameday-central-rice-at-north-texas/

Both teams were coming off lopsided victories on Oct. 26.

The Owls were led on the ground by senior running back Charles Ross. Ross carried the ball18 times for 101 yards, but the Schertz native was out of the game during the eight-play stretch near the Mean Green goal line.

Bailiff said Ross suffered a stinger and was not cleared by the medical staff to come back out during that drive.

UNT committed two fourth down penalties to extend Rice’s drive. The second penalty gave Rice first-and-goal at the UNT 3-yard line.

From four yards out, McHargue ran backwards, evaded tacklers and then ran forward but was tackled on fourth down before he could get rid of the ball.

“That’s the situation where I just have to put it up and have our guys make a play on it,” McHargue said. “I was running around way too long there. It felt like forever.”

McHargue completed 18 of 22 passes for 222 yards two touchdowns and two interceptions to UNT defensive back Marcus Trice, including a late interception as time was winding down in contest.

The Owls’ point total (16) and their third-down conversions (2 of 13) were both season lows.

“We got in a lot of long third downs,” McHargue said. “That was a big factor in why we had such a bad third-down percentage. We really never found any momentum. We’d have a big play and then shoot ourselves in the foot. And I gotta take care of the football. At the end of the day, that’s the biggest thing.”

Read more: http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2013/10/gameday-central-rice-at-north-texas/

Replace the word "stumbled" with "whipped," and that article would make more sense. I still remember Rice players being extremely pissed in a bad way back in '88 when we beat them as a 1AA team, so this win is extremely satisfying. Let us follow through with the next three plus.