Five things to look for when Southern Miss hosts UNT

Harry

One more defeat will assure Southern Miss of a second straight losing season and ineligibility for a bowl game, not to mention extending the Golden Eagles run of misery to 19 games.

Those are the facts facing the Golden Eagles (0-6, 0-2 Conference USA) as they welcome North Texas (4-3, 2-1) to Roberts Stadium for homecoming at 6 p.m. Saturday. But for first-year Southern Miss head coach Todd Monken, it's all about baby steps.

"I don't want to make excuses," Monken said. "It is our job to figure out what our players can do and what we can do to find a way to win games. I understand that. ... We're going to continue to coach our guys. We're going to continue to be positive. Like I said the other day, I love being the coach at Southern Miss. I'm not going to let anything deter me from what my goal is, which is to put the best product on the field."

The game will be broadcast live by CBS Sports Network.

Here are five things to look for when the Golden Eagles host the Mean Green:

New starter at quarterback

Monken announced Monday that true freshman Nick Mullens will take over at quarterback for senior Allan Bridgford, who started the Golden Eagles' first six games. Mullens, the Gatorade Player of the Year in Alabama last season, threw two fourth-quarter touchdown passes in Southern Miss' 55-14 loss at East Carolina last week.

Read more: http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-sports/2013/10/football_five_things_to_look_f_3.html