Why we run on first down...

BIG DAWG

The coaches don't want to be in 2nd and 10 situations every drive...w/ Thompson at the helm, that's what you are looking at more times than not.

Possible, observed, results that come from throwing on 1st down w/ Thompson at the helm:

1) over throw

2) under throw

3) pick

4) contorted reception - no RAC b/c the receiver had to break stride to make the catch

5) reception - usually for a short gain b/c it's a swing pass or screen

Edited by BIG DAWG
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

God, I hate the luck of UNT.

Now we get to hear the same tired arguments over and over again for the next 5 months or until DT is replaced as a starter.

It says volumes about where we are at with the QB position that the coaching staff feels that there is no other option but for a QB they didn't trust enough to put in a position to be successful to start again this year.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I just don't see how they can go with someone who they don't trust.

I do feel that DT has earned the lack if trust. Hope he does good, I'm just tired of seeing defenses stack the box like they do.

And UNT run into that stacked box like a fool beating his head against a wall.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And UNT run into that stacked box like a fool beating his head against a wall.

They did. I completely agree that we need to throw more and mix it up on 1st more, just not sure how much DT will convert. I'd rather find out and be disappointed than not see what could've happened.

Another thing about running into the box last year is that despite the heavy fronts I thought we blocked it up well. I thought Byrd wasted a lot of good blocking last year.

We have too many good backs and a potential superstar in Jimmerson. If Byrd doesn't produce more than he did last year then some of his carries should go elsewhere. He did look better in spring IMO.

• Upvote 1