More Idaho Vandal Camp News

Harry

We have open viewing and it is right on top of the drills and practices. When it concludes, the SID staff gets with the media and they request who they want to interview. Then the SID staff oks the requests with the HC. Then the small groups circle up and the SID moves the coaches and players who are going to meet the media to these staging areas. It is pretty smooth. The non-media, of course, are along the fence area, but you can hear just about everything. Here's a pic of the area. Some practices are inside the Dome, but most are outside on this site:

300px-2008-1018-019-KibbieDome-east.jpg266134.jpg

Davis is not a viable option, in my uninformed opinion. He has never played well.

He did a pretty good job in the second half of that Tex. SA game. If Gesser would have had him in whole game, I think we would have won that one. Water under the bridge. You may be spot on though BVF. I know in other games when he was called on, it was not pretty, but he was behind that "el Matador" OL of ours and running for his life. Oh, the pain of these memories. LOL

Careful, people around these parts don't like being reminded of that... :)

Rick

After 10 minutes of trying to find a way to tell you how wrong you are, I corrected myself. Your ideas are great. I would love more coverage, too. Let's make an event of this.

But your presentation sucks. And you seem bitter. That's fine. I like your stories, your reasons to not like some of the way things are handled here. In my world, though, you can't sell an idea to any group by telling them how wrong they do things, or how much they suck, or how they don't get it. Even if you think that's justified.

I think that was the big turn off...for me anyways. Instead of saying "I have a great idea; let's try to build something", you tell everyone how terrible things have been and will be if they don't change.

I apologize to you and myself for getting caught up in that debate. You're allowed to handle it however you choose. There are probably people out there more receptive to this approach than me.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

After 10 minutes of trying to find a way to tell you how wrong you are, I corrected myself. Your ideas are great. I would love more coverage, too. Let's make an event of this.

But your presentation sucks. And you seem bitter. That's fine. I like your stories, your reasons to not like some of the way things are handled here. In my world, though, you can't sell an idea to any group by telling them how wrong they do things, or how much they suck, or how they don't get it. Even if you think that's justified.

I think that was the big turn off...for me anyways. Instead of saying "I have a great idea; let's try to build something", you tell everyone how terrible things have been and will be if they don't change.

I apologize to you and myself for getting caught up in that debate. You're allowed to handle it however you choose. There are probably people out there more receptive to this approach than me.

No apologies necessary. But I'm not sure your aware of the history behind the event or the sarcasm(not bitterness) that followed. Just to be sarcastic I have been posting examples of other programs using open practice/scrimmages for several years now just to remind that it's still a tool we should still be utilizing.

Back in the 90's when we didnt have a pot to piss in, SUMG, Plummer and GreenGrenadeII started the poster hangings all around town and inspiried a fall event with the team that really showed several of us that if enough folks got involved it could make a difference.

Then. Harry, Even, greenjoe, meanrob and many others started hosting a get together at someone's house as a MGC gathering and the coaches were invited and we got to ask them about the battles we saw in practice and this event was well attended and was the same time gmg.com got off the ground pretty good. it was the time when so many of us realized how many others shared the same passion..Mean Green Football.

Eventually SoundMan, Harry, Even, Adler, SilverEagle, VeryGreen and too many others here to list started the Kick-Off cookout by cooking several hundred pounds of mesquite smoked brisket for the players, coaches and their families and any fan who showed up to watch the game. It gave us all a chance to come together one last time before the real battle began. And of course it was free to all who showed up. It also gave the AD dept a chance to get the hook into potential donors and ticket holders at no expense from their budget. Somehow.... it eventually evolved into the AD dept taking it over and charging for it, then Dodge closed the scrimmage and the food got considerably worse.

Now, it is nothing more than a two hour gathering at the hottest time of the day..(gonna get a break though this weekend)....with no scrimmage and nothing for the fan to really look forward to but familiar stump speeches we have all heard before and some free popcorn and soft drinks. Yeah, there is also going to be the big jamboree announcement this time for entry to C-USA but that window has passed about 14 months back. It's like celebrating New Years on January 5th.

So all that effort went to waste IMO. It had a good start that should be by now one of the biggest events of the fall next to opening day and Homecoming. The fans would get to see a peek at what they are paying for, the team gets a good meal and the AD dept has a chance to maximize efforts to sell tickets and t shirts.

Maybe if the team starts to win again it can reach it's potential. We have a great place to host it, I just simply think for little to nothing added ineffort it could be much better.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Somebody asked if we had the worst coverage in FBS and the answer has to be yes.

The perfect storm of the coach keeping the media out, lack of interest, a lousy beat writer, and close proximity to a major media market that doesn't care about UNT and you get the worst coverage of any team in FBS and I would say worse than most FCS teams. I just went to meangreensports and besides fluff videos about freshmen, there's no practice coverage. The only school I can think of that is in a situation close to ours is Texas State and at least they have some practice coverage on their web site.

When I visit my mom in Bozeman, the coverage of Montana State blows UNT's coverage away.

I guess I had learned to live with it until I saw all the Vandal updates and hear my friends talk about their school's camp.

Like I said, it's more than just one cause but the effect for us fans blows.

• Upvote 1

That is called a press conference, you know for the press.

I was referring to a party at the stadium where they gave out CUSA shirts. Maybe it was the Denton Coaches Caravan in 2012? Big crowd of fans, nice food, the bad, coaches. Good stuff!

Yeah, I know the Denton events are always bigger than the others elsewhere but that caravan was gonna happen regardless if we were changing conferences or not. I went to the one in Fort Worth right after that and there was around 40 people show up. Nothing special.

But the same day our press conference occurred La Tech had a university and city wide blowout that was advertised across their website with a slashing banner as the "Biggest party in La Tech history" and invited everyone and had food and the band and cheerleaders,.... the whole enchilada.

Our version of that is this weekend...14 months after the fact.. Hopefully they might have some shirts to give out?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Receivers covered in local news article (Friday 8-16):

vandals receivers stretch the field

new faces should provide spark

520db907e92dd.preview-300.jpg

Dean Hare/Daily News

Idaho wide receiver Deon Watson (83) catches a touchdown pass after getting behind cornerback Armond Hawkins (14) during the Vandals’ Saturday scrimmage at the SprinTurf in Moscow.

Wherever he has gone, Idaho football coach Paul Petrino has been able to turn average receivers into big-time playmakers, so it's no surprise that the Idaho Vandals have high expectations from their wideouts.

"Petrino has a lot of knowledge for us, and personally, he's taken my game to another level," Idaho senior receiver Najee Lovett said. "He notices all the little details when you're running your routes and catching the ball. I know he's helped all of us receivers."

Lovett is one of only three receivers returning from last year's squad. In the 2012 campaign, he reeled in 50 receptions for 548 yards and six touchdowns. The other two returners, senior Roman Runner and sophomore Marquan Major, tallied a combined 20 catches.

"Najee has to be a playmaker for us," offensive coordinator Kris Cinkovich said. "He's had a few big strikes each of the past few practices. He has to be a fast guy and a deep strike guy for us."

Runner drew praise from Petrino for his play during the spring and is still getting a lot of playing time with the first string offense. However, Petrino has decided Runner will also play on the defensive side of the ball as a cornerback, which will likely limit his playing time as a receiver.

"We're going to do it, it might just be a nickel package, it might just be during certain things," Petrino said. "When you go punt and punt return with the gunners and the guys holding them up, Roman is the best press guy we have, so we have to get him over there and have him play some corner for us."

While the Vandals' other receivers won't play defense, they will need to learn to be versatile as well, as receivers in Petrino's offense often play all three traditional positions - X, Y and Z - which helps the offense create potential mismatches.

"All of us receivers are going to be all over the field," Lovett said. "There aren't any set spots we're going to playing. You get a good feel for the offense that way, you get to catch balls everywhere."

If Chad Chalich wins the starting quarterback job, he will once again be tossing passes to Deon Watson. The two played in high school together at Coeur d'Alene and seem to have good chemistry. The 6-foot-4 Watson, a redshirt freshman, has done an outstanding job using his size to his advantage this fall and appears to have himself locked in near the top of the depth chart.

"Deon has been really good at making plays," Cinkovich said. "He's not fast, not speedy or spectacular, but he always competes for the ball and uses his body very well - plus he has very good hands."

In Idaho's first scrimmage, Watson reeled in five catches and scored a pair of touchdowns while appearing to have a solid grasp of the offense.

"Deon is figuring out how to use his body and has great hands," Lovett said. "I think he's going to have a good year."

Perhaps the most dynamic player on the receiving corps is Dezmon Epps. The 5-foot-10 junior college transfer is easily one of the fastest guys on the field.

"I've been clocked at 4.3 (seconds in the 40-yard dash)," Epps said. "I'm off and on with a low 4.3, might run a 4.4 on an off day."

Epps has been with the team for only about two weeks, but already he has stepped up as a vocal leader and a playmaker. During Saturday's scrimmage, he caught 10 passes for 151 yards and three touchdowns.

"Dezmon leads our catch chart most days after practice, which is an indicator that, A: he makes plays, and B: the quarterbacks trust him," Cinkovich said. "He flies around and is fast. He's a dynamic playmaker."

Cinkovich said Epps will serve as solid replacement for departed senior Jahrie Level, who appeared to be Idaho's No. 1 receiver coming out of spring ball before transferring to another school during the summer. The offensive coordinator also mentioned freshmen Jacob Sannon and Rueben Mwehla as players whose speed could net them some playing time this year.

For tight ends, Mike LaGrone returns for his senior season with the Vandals. The 6-foot-2 tight end started nine games last year and scored a pair of touchdowns on 16 receptions. While it would appear he sits atop the depth chart, his grip on the spot is tenuous at best.

"Mike missed some time again with an injury, but Clayton Hommie is always there, always stepping up, never hurt, always making plays," Cinkovich said. "He's not spectacular because he's not real fast, but he does what he's coached to do. For us, you have to be at practice every day to be a playmaker and a leader. Mike certainly has potential to be a leader, but it's performance that counts."

If this year's receivers and tight ends can come together, they should prove to be a much more effective group than the one that consistently struggled last year.

"I think this year we're going to be good at stretching the field and making big plays," Lovett said. "We're going to be making guys miss and catching balls down the field. I think this offense is well suited for that."

loud and proud alla y'all...loud and proud

• Upvote 1