The story on Van DT Syd Moore

Harry

Syd Moore, a defensive tackle from Van, will be in town this weekend, Van head coach Jared Moffatt confirmed this morning.

I spoke with Moffatt about Moore, who is about to embark on a weekend trip that will determine where he will spend the next four years.

Moore will visit UNT on Thursday and Friday before spending the rest of the weekend at UTEP. He will decide where he will sign after returning to Van.

Moore was a pretty highly regarded recruit who received early offers from SMU and Louisiana-Monroe.

Both later pulled those scholarships.

No one questions Moore’s ability as a player. He was the MVP of District 16-3A, which is pretty impressive. It’s not often that defensive tackles are named the MVP of their district. The issues are his size and his academic standing.

Moore is 6-1, 260 and does not have a lot of extra room to fill out. Moffatt said that he probably can play at the college level at about 275 pounds while maintaining his speed and quickness that are his strengths.

He won’t be a nose tackle and might roughly equate to Ryan Boutwell in terms of his size and potential abilities.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/01/the-story-on-van-dt-syd-moore.html/

If the biggest problem is academics, UNT should definitely be his home. We have the systems in place to help those with a desire to achieve in the classroom. Jamario was offered elsewhere, and they changed their minds because of his dyslexia, and North Texas came through for him. I'm sure if Syd values his shot at an education, we can work our magic with him as well. I think there are a lot of us who were expected to be failures that instead achieved much and succeeded greatly because of the environment at North Texas.

• Upvote 1

If the biggest problem is academics, UNT should definitely be his home. We have the systems in place to help those with a desire to achieve in the classroom. Jamario was offered elsewhere, and they changed their minds because of his dyslexia, and North Texas came through for him. I'm sure if Syd values his shot at an education, we can work our magic with him as well. I think there are a lot of us who were expected to be failures that instead achieved much and succeeded greatly because of the environment at North Texas.

On the flip side, he is visiting UTEP which has a 99% acceptance rate so he will have zero trouble getting in there.