Marshall's take on new C-USA

Harry

MU athletic director Mike Hamrick was pleased with the setup, and Thundering Herd officials have looked forward to a reduction in travel and a few more drivable football games, such as the trip to Murfreesboro-based Middle Tennessee.

"The thing for Marshall is, in this new Conference USA, we become more of a regional conference, with Charlotte, Old Dominion and Middle Tennessee close, plus we get a chance to go to Florida twice with FIU and FAU, which will always be in our division."

The formats will be in place for a single season, as Tulane and East Carolina will migrate to the Big East and Old Dominion begins to compete for the championship in football. Charlotte's infant football program will begin C-USA competition in 2015.

The league is trying to position itself for the coming realignment of the bowl games, and for television renegotiations in three years. Hamrick sees good prospects ahead, despite the defections.

"Middle Tennessee beat Georgia Tech. Louisiana Tech won nine games," Hamrick said. "Florida International we beat in the bowl game, they just had some back luck last year, and Charlotte is pouring millions of dollars into their program. Those are large schools in metropolitan areas.

"Our TV contract comes up in three years, and we've got to position ourselves to have potential for a good TV contract. We've actually gained households, and that's important from a television standpoint."

read more: http://wvgazette.com/Sports/201301230300

As I recall, North Texas played Marshall in the first round of the NCAA 1-AA Playoff Tournament some years ago. I don't recall the year, but it would have been during the Corkey Nelson era. We traveled to WV and lost. We may have played them other times as well but I don't remember playing Marshall otherwise.

GO MEAN GREEN

Mike used to be AD at UALR. Smart fella.

When he was at ECU, CUSA had Louisville, Cincinnati and USF was coming in. Then he left to UNLV before taking the Marshall job. Since arriving at Marshall he along with ECU's AD Holland had be proponents for a 16 team CUSA that would essentially be two conferences with very little interaction across the divisions, basically an east/southeast conference and a south/southwest conference that just united for the sale of TV rights hosting of championship events.

Since CUSA is practically at that target, of course he is happy, CUSA has almost adopted his vision for the league.

We did you get to attend a game @ Marshall? I've always wanted to go there.

2 years ago I went to several. I was working as a recruiter in Virginia. Focusing on some players in the area. Love that program...you feel the hunger and the tradition