Unt Beats Tcu

Bloopers17

As a fan, I couldn't help wonder after walking away from watching UNT beat TCU 1-0 in soccer at Pizza Hut Park the other day - in front of a sea of fans wearing green or purple that why aren't the other team sports from both schools playing each other and developing rivalries like soccer. I understand the easy answer would be because these schools wont play us because of fear of losing & recruiting...so you're telling me soccer does not face the same situation, but somehow they make it work.

Our true team sports like football, basketball, soccer and some day baseball should play TCU as well as SMU every year...the battle of the Metroplex, bragging rights. Can you imagine the attention, atmosphere, exposure we all would get from UNT, TCU and SMU playing each other every year. We would be marking are calendar six months in advance instead of saying what Louisiana school are we playing this week. Come on schedule makers - were all tired of hearing the excuses, let's get it done and follow soccer's suit.

Great win ladies, way to beat up on those pissed off :thumbsu: horned frogs...now that's a rivalry.

We play SMU in soccer just about every year. As far as the other sports go, it is stupid not to play each other every year. My dream would be a holiday tournemant between UTA, SMU, TCU, and UNT in men's and women's basketball every year. The host could just be rotated every year, or the teams could be seeded each year and have the games at the home of the higher seed. I would be shocked if it ever happened though.

I was at Pizza Hut Park for Saturday's game against TCU! Great win for the ladies against a local Metroplex rival. And, yes, those horned frogs were none to happy about being beaten by the Mean Green either! Pretty decent turnout for the Mean Green as well. I was happy to see the green in the crowd.

I totally agree with Matt...what a great event a "Battle fopr the Metroplex" would be between UNT, SMU, TCU and UTA every year. One can only hope and dream!

As a fan, I couldn't help wonder after walking away from watching UNT beat TCU 1-0 in soccer at Pizza Hut Park the other day - in front of a sea of fans wearing green or purple that why aren't the other team sports from both schools playing each other and developing rivalries like soccer. I understand the easy answer would be because these schools wont play us because of fear of losing & recruiting...so you're telling me soccer does not face the same situation, but somehow they make it work.

Our true team sports like football, basketball, soccer and some day baseball should play TCU as well as SMU every year...the battle of the Metroplex, bragging rights. Can you imagine the attention, atmosphere, exposure we all would get from UNT, TCU and SMU playing each other every year. We would be marking are calendar six months in advance instead of saying what Louisiana school are we playing this week. Come on schedule makers - were all tired of hearing the excuses, let's get it done and follow soccer's suit.

Great win ladies, way to beat up on those pissed off :thumbsu: horned frogs...now that's a rivalry.

Coach Hedlund does a better job than most soccer coaches of building relationships with schools in other conferences, but for the most part he won't settle for just away "in season" games and require the opposing school to home and away schedules. Oklahoma, Baylor, Texas Tech & SMU have been pretty good at reciprocating over the past few years. Most big time schools are very hesitant to play UNT on our home field. Even this year's spring matches (which don't account for much more than bragging rights), Arkansas, Tulsa, Oklahoma, OK State, LSU, Houston, TCU all were played away or at neutral sites.

Per the UNT media guide, "UNT is one of just three schools in the nation to have two unbeaten streaks at home of 23 game or more in NCAA history". UNT does not loose at home very often and the vast majority of more prominent programs are not willing to risk a non-conference loss to UNT at home. So kudos to the above larger conference schools willing to build some regional rivalries. I think it will be a while before you see a Texas A&M or Texas schedule UNT! Metroplex recruiting is pretty fierce in women's soccer and you can see by the youth soccer turn out at Saturdays match that a win in the spring does carry some weight on the recruiting front. Way to go ladies! GMG