Eureka! Hire Coach Fran For Hfc--His Son For Asst Hfc

PlummMeanGreen

This may have already been expressed, but whatta' ya' think?

Of course, Dad would have to convince Son to come to Denton on this one.

I'm sure RV will soon come down to 3 top candidates but this would sorta' take care of many years at UNT if Dad leaves and Son takes over--assuming we are the Top 25 program I think Coach Fran would give us if he stayed 5 or 6 years in Denton.

Just something to mull over--that's all.

Whoever we hire, we must do the most research on this new hire in the history of our school's athletic program--that is a given.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The coach-in-waiting situation is a pain. It helped divide the Florida State fan base for years before Bowden finally was driven into retirement.

Of course, few are the schools that are looking for a HFC's replacement starting in the 3'rd week of October, too. I don't know how divided any school should be at that point in time. Jeez, just how quickly can a group be divided over the (still) unknown criteria of hiring the right HFC for a school like North Texas with our history of not doing well in the hiring business? :unsure:

Does This Make Any Sense? :huh: UNT needs to understand how it is uniquely talented people who turn programs around in upward bound NCAA programs--not just filling job openings with just about anyone. Such people (or hires) who may actually sometimes be covetted by other schools in the upper echelon of the NCAA is usually a pretty bright apple green flag that we have hired the right ones in Denton (Amazing, but that concept sorta worked in the sector of education I was in for a quarter of a century, too, and I'd bet in your own industry as well).

Yet.......in the last 30 plus years, UNT has not had many on staff who others in the BCS have been knocking doors down to talk to. Maybe that alone a prime reason for our 30 plus year walk in the wilderness? Post Big West, we had no options on the table, too, (except a newly thrown together league) because of our lack of success for those 3 plus decades. So..........don't we sorta' need to hire our next HFC with the idea that someone else may very well want the guy after he's been in Denton around 5 or 6 years hopefully building a solid foundation but this time around..............then we follow the Boise model and have a top assistant coach-in-waiting who has been part of a "winning" MG football program. For newer readers unaware, Boise State in the space of about 11 years in their history had 5 Head Football Coaches but during most all those tenures were still a Top 25 fixture. What a success story in Mr. Potato Head Country many schools of our level should maybe try to follow. Not sure how many out there have been following our model lately. OK, now go for it UNT's version of the Roman mob! :blink::)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

So..........don't we sorta' need to hire our next HFC with the idea that someone else may very well want the guy after he's been in Denton around 5 or 6 years hopefully building a solid foundation but this time around..............then we follow the Boise model and have a top assistant coach-in-waiting who has been part of a "winning" MG football program.

UNT doesn't even have one good head coach yet and you want RV to find two of them.

UNT doesn't even have one good head coach yet and you want RV to find two of them.

Go for the, uh, gusto?!?

UNT would need to "force" :blink::) Coach Fran to sign in blood that we get at least 5 years from him; I know...that cannot legally be done, but if he were interested in our job we need to gently remind him that we are (after all) taking a chance on someone who has a journeyman reputation out there. (I'm not sure that would ever be brought up in the conversation, quite frankly).

I would, too, bank on the fact that Coach Fran would feel he is getting too old to keep job jumping and needs to anchor down at this stage of the game for his career. I do think a name coach like him would create excitment to sell tickets to curious borderline fans, fill our stadium and probably even get a good first recruiting class, too. His son would have a good knowledge on JUCO talent in Texas since those are who he plays at Blinn.

A 1 Win Team? What Can You Do?

I remember Fry who coached the same bunch of players who the year before finished 1 and 10 with Rod Rust and then with his name, charisma and BCS type coaching talents made Missouri Valley Conference champions out of that group "who had only won 1 game the year before." How many games will we win this year?

BUT........."IF" he could get his son from Blinn JUCO to come along we would have some semblance of insurance once his dad after 6 or 7 years in Denton got his Big 10 job. Also, with his son, we have someone who could be our recruiting coordinator as well as Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator, too. I guess he would be a tad busy with all that? :rolleyes:

At some point, we all need to want those kind of athletic employees that others will want, too, because (save Jerry Moore's .500 w/l in 2 seasons) that would mean said coach has done a rip-roaring job in Mean Green Country. Then we use the Boise model of having a proven Coordinator-In-Waiting to take over and we don't have to waste time and money doing national searches.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The coach-in-waiting situation is a pain. It helped divide the Florida State fan base for years before Bowden finally was driven into retirement.

If we hire a new name coach and he retains Canales and then said name HFC leaves Denton for greener pastures eventually (which strangely enought we should all hope happens because of what that usually means he would have left behind in Denton), then we copy the Boise model and reward our next HFC's job with someone like a Canales who at that time would be ready to take over in a stadium that may need to be expanded after 5-7 years because of the results from our name HFC. (Shall I repeat all that one more time)? :rolleyes:

Of course, the same thing could happen with the young Coach Fran taking over from Papi Fran after he has paid his dues and spent some years in Denton taking us places that I'd bet Boise and TCU fans 10 years ago never thought they would ever see. Norm Hitzges said a couple of week ago on his radio show:

"Why not North Texas being a Boise?" I think many of us agree with stormin' Norman and he is usually not one to throw out those kind of statements unless he thinks it could become reality.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Pretty funny stuff. I didn't realize Vito dug so deep for his ideas/information!

And in a side note, here's something to think about: What about a Fran-and-Fran package? If UNT hired former TCU-Alabama-Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione, it could try to bring in Blinn College head coach Brad Franchione in as its assistant head coach/coach in waiting.

Just a thought.

From his blog:

meangreenblog

Pretty funny stuff. I didn't realize Vito dug so deep for his ideas/information!

From his blog:

meangreenblog

UNTLifer, funny things just tend to happen when it involves UNT athletics--that's all I'm going to say other than...Ha! Ha! Funny!

GMG!

PS: I like that cinematic Texas Ranger moniker of yours inspired by UNT alum Larry McMurtrey.