5/8 Rule

Buford_Julep

I know it doesn't apply to Bobby Knight and Texas Tech. Has it been scrapped?

Right now NT has 8 returning scholarship players plus Shawn Johnson, Calvin Watson And Mike Jones. A total of 11.

Last year NT gave 4 scholarships, so if we give 2 more to bring us up to the NCAA limit of 13, that would come to 9 scholarships in 2 years. We are only allowed 8.

If we only have one to give, it will almost surely go to an experienced point guard. Dandrick Jones, of Kimball and Trinidad, Colorado C.C., was mentioned by the DRC last fall as being interested in NT. I read recently that he is now getting attention from several high major programs, so it looks like we can forget about him. Coach Rike was not on the bench during the South Alabama game. My source says he was in Florida scouting a JUCO point guard.

Greendog, you used to go by Pedraza I believe. Can you add or correct anything?

Davis, Green, Green and Chiles(NCAA release says student-athletes not scholarship players) graduate and Masters leaves the team. That totals 5. More are leaving than the 4 scholarships allocated so NT gets an extra ship, provided all 5 are on track to graduate in 5 years. This should leave NT with 2 more scholarships to give.

This is what I was able to find on the web:

5/8 Rule Modified

By NCAA Release

Date: Oct 23, 2001

DIVISION I MANAGEMENT COUNCIL OFFERS MODIFICATION OF "5/8" BYLAW

INDIANAPOLIS---The NCAA Division I Management Council today agreed to recommend to the Division I Board of Directors a proposal that would modify its "5/8" bylaw. The rule has limited the number of initial grants that may be awarded to men's basketball players to eight in a consecutive two-year period, with no more than five initial grants in one of those two years.

The modification, which will be considered by the Division I Board of Directors on November 1, would allow institutions to award up to a total of nine initial grants during this academic year and 2002-03, with no more than five initial grants in one year. For example, those that awarded five this year would be allowed to award four for the 2002-03 year; those that awarded less than five initial grants this year could award up to five for 2002-03.

The "5/8" limit would resume in 2003-04 with one change. When the number of student-athletes who graduate in any given year combined with those who leave an institution early but who are on track to graduate within five years exceeds the number of initial grants provided during that same given year, the school would earn one additional initial grant. The additional grant must be used within the following two years. Overall men's basketball scholarship limits would remain at 13.

NT has two scholarships to give. One is intended to go to an experienced point guard.

I don't know if NT is still pursuing Dandrick Jones or not. He visited here last November with Calvin Watson and Mike Jones, but said he was waiting till Spring before he made a decision. He reportedly has "high major" schools interested in him now, so he probably has forgotten about NT.

Yes, Calvin Watson is a wing player.

If NT adds a JUCO point guard, that leaves JJ with a fairly balanced roster. The last scholarship could be used on just about any position. IMO Roniger's future is at the 2 position and Boxell will not be offered a scholarship. I would like to see the last ship go to a high school point guard. Someone like Darius Harper of Hebron or Glen Forbes of Fort Worth Arlington Heights.