Could The State Of Louisiana Close Some Schools ?

Post from the Belt board.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/93595549.html

this topic has come up in past years and change has always been defeated by local politics. While from a cost standpoint Monroe, Grambling and LaTech could be combined (and maybe others), each is economically important to the cities in which they are located and when considering closing the campuses, opposition from state represetatives from those areas has been vigorous. Combining the administrations and leaving the campuses intact would save something but not much.

Maybe this time the economic problems at the state level or too great to ignore, who knows.

Kinda like the idea of combining UNT and TWU. Could make some sense from a cost standpoint, but no one wants to do it.

Louisiana has been struggling with this for years and it won't get any better until action is taken. As distasteful as it may seem they are eventually going to have to bite the bullet.

My suggestion would be to create community college/junior college districts for those institutions scheduled for closing. The LSU branch at Eunice is the only such JC that I can recall. It wouldn't provide as much economic stimulus as they currently have but it could salvage something.

There should be a state supported college in the Shreveport-Bossier City area where there are nearly 400,000 residents. The others could consolidate to Ruston and Lafayette primarily.

They could bleed the emergency fund dry but then they would have only postponed the inevitable and voided themselves of chances of survival for some.

IMHO, it is inevitable that all states will have to come the conclusion to drastically cut state spending to survive. Some people and the economy will suffer now but if out of control spending continues it will be worse. Kinda reminds me of the old Fram Oil Filter advertisement, "you can pay me now or pay me later."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

IMHO, it is inevitable that all states will have to come the conclusion to drastically cut state spending to survive. Some people and the economy will suffer now but if out of control spending continues it will be worse. Kinda reminds me of the old Fram Oil Filter advertisement, "you can pay me now or pay me later."

Yes but education is the last thing that should be cut. Cutting education is bad in the long haul. Given that one can spend education dollars wisely. Consolidating along the lines mentioned above (Ruston, Lafayette areas) could maintain opportunities and better manage costs.

But politics is politics, maybe more so in Louisiana. If anyone is making book, I would bet against.

• Upvote 1

if memory serves texas tried unsuccessfully to close some smaller colleges 25/30 years ago. the only thing that i remember coming out of it was a movement by schools such as west texas state to affilliate with larger systems such as texas a&m, for example. while it might be the financially prudent move to make, politically its a landmine.

Cutting out sports or other high travel cost events make more sense than closing an institution. Schools who lack sports but are still on the chopping block need to specialize in a field that prevents the program from justing being one like the other.