When Dominoes Fall - The Big East

GrayEagle

Should the Big 10 take Pitt and Rutgers it would signal the end of the Big East as a "Big Six" conference and quite possibly as a football conference.

There are not enough highly-rated prospects that could give the Big East enough quality teams to keep their status. East Carolina would probably be the only addition that could improve the average. Southern Miss or UCF might make it close but you are getting a long ways from the base of the Big East Conference. Those might be required just to keep the conference viable at eight.

I don't know how attractive the Big East would be if they are not a automatic bid conference. Memphis might be interested because of the strong basketball but I'd doubt it. Their best bet would seem to accept Army, Navy, East Carolina, Temple and Marshall. Central Florida would still be interested if South Florida remains a member.

If they want to remain an FBS conference the lineup would likely be:

Louisville

Cincinnati

East Carolina

Marshall

South Florida

Central Florida

Memphis

Temple

Army (football only)

Navy (football only)

Otherwise, I'm afraid that the Big East once again becomes a basketball conference.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Should the Big 10 take Pitt and Rutgers it would signal the end of the Big East as a "Big Six" conference and quite possibly as a football conference.

There are not enough highly-rated prospects that could give the Big East enough quality teams to keep their status. East Carolina would probably be the only addition that could improve the average. Southern Miss or UCF might make it close but you are getting a long ways from the base of the Big East Conference. Those might be required just to keep the conference viable at eight.

I don't know how attractive the Big East would be if they are not a automatic bid conference. Memphis might be interested because of the strong basketball but I'd doubt it. Their best bet would seem to accept Army, Navy, East Carolina, Temple and Marshall. Central Florida would still be interested if South Florida remains a member.

If they want to remain an FBS conference the lineup would likely be:

Louisville

Cincinnati

East Carolina

Marshall

South Florida

Central Florida

Memphis

Temple

Army (football only)

Navy (football only)

Otherwise, I'm afraid that the Big East once again becomes a basketball conference.

You can probably rule out Army & Navy. The have no trouble scheduling and most likely would prefer remaining independant.

• Upvote 1

You can probably rule out Army & Navy. The have no trouble scheduling and most likely would prefer remaining independant.

I agree with you but if the Big East decides to keep football I believe that thry may try to get Army and Navy as football only members. It will give the conference more visibility, can be framed so that it does not affect the Army/Navy game, and gives them a little more income for the program. Conference membership has worked well for the Air Force Academy and maybe the Big East commissioner can convince the academies that it can work for them too.

Maybe I'm just hoping that the Big East remains a football conference because I believe that helps North Texas in the long run.

Edited by GrayEagle

I agree with you but if the Big East decides to keep football I believe that thry may try to get Army and Navy as football only members. It will give the conference more visibility, can be framed so that it does not affect the Army/Navy game, and gives them a little more income for the program. Conference membership has worked well for the Air Force Academy and maybe the Big East commissioner can convince the academies that it can work for them too.

Maybe I'm just hoping that the Big East remains a football conference because I believe that helps North Texas in the long run.

Army was a member of CUSA and dropped out because they could not compete with the other teams.