DMN..LSU forward to transfer to NT

OldTimer

NORTH TEXAS

Former LSU forward may join Mean Green

DENTON – Power forward Shawnson Johnson, who quit LSU at halftime of a Dec. 3 game, visited the Mean Green's practice Friday and said he will probably enroll at UNT this semester.

The 6-9, 242-pound Johnson, a junior who would become eligible next December if he immediately enrolls at UNT, played three games at LSU before leaving the team, averaging 5.3 points, 7.0 rebounds and 2.3 blocks per game. He said he quit because he "wasn't on the same page" with LSU coach John Brady.

UNT coach Johnny Jones declined to comment, citing an NCAA rule that forbids coaches from discussing potential transfers.

Tim MacMahon

According to DRC, Shawon Johnston was ranked as the 7th best national JuCo by CBS Sportsline when he signed with LSU. He is from Shreveport La and played for Lee J.C.

7.0 rebounds and 2.3 blocks are great stats when playing 17.7 minutes a game.

Link to story of Johnson quitting at LSU and photo: http://www.theadvocate.com/stories/120602/...ohnson001.shtml

Misses deadlines, breaks team policy, quits at halftime....... Are these problems that we want to inherit. I admit to knowing nothing about bball or bball stats, but this guy better be pretty good to make up for all that crap.

In addition, LSU isn't doing too shabby without him. I made the road trip down to Red Stick to shoot the LSU/Centenary game this week. The final score was 112-63.

Looks like he went to HS here. I will ask around.

Seeya,

Shane

If JJ thought Johnson was a bad guy...he would not want him here. JJ's motto is "attitude is everything". Surely the guy must realize this is his last chance. If he is a problem...he won't be here for long. All NT loses is one scholarship.

The upside is NT gets a big time player. The reward is worth the risk.

I think this is equivalent to the Hunter Wall situation with the football team. It never worked out for the fb team to have Wall on the team but hopefully this kid works out better.

One part of me does agree with ShaneB, and that is that is I hope we don't transfer all his problems. Maybe he has learned his lesson.