Thursday Mtg. On How To Get Info On Fee To Students

Green Dozer

Student government discusses new stadium

Taylor Short

Issue date: 10/7/08 Section: NEWS

Student Government Association members and NT athletics director Rick Villarreal met Thursday to discuss how to inform students about the proposed $7 athletic fee increase that would help fund the new stadium.

Does anybody else think that Thursday, per the NT Daily, was a little late to plan how to campaign for the student fee? It said that RV was present at this meeting. Just seems to me that these plans should have been made over the summer, and bam, get the info out at the beginning of the semester. I mean, this just seems last minute on something that is so important to the future of the football program, and will indirectly impact all of athletics. It seems the mode of the athletic department is to get behind in the game, and then try to play catch up like our football team. It is unfair to people who are working so hard to have to work under these circumstances. I am afraid students will judge what needs to be done by the team's record and the poll that the UNT Daily runs. Just think it could have been done with a lot more organizing. There could have been athletic staff, players, coaches, alums on campus going around and beating the drum a lot earlier in this semester. We are trying to build a stadium, not a practice field.

Flyer, if the "right" info is communicated in a professional manner about this fee, then the "evil empire" would not have a leg to stand on. All this cloak and dagger crap makes us look like a hand to mouth football program. It gives credibility that we are pitching pennies into our program while others are pitching dollars. I mean, a Facebook page is what we base our poll on and we call the Daily's poll bogus. Do the fundraisers at other mid-majors like Marshall, Toledo, Troy, ULL use Facebook to guage the success or failure of their fundraising efforts? The 0-4 record would not have effected this campaign like it will now. Want proof, look at the student section this past Saturday and the attendance of the students at the Tulsa game. We could have gone into a lot more depth about how the facilities would help recruiting, attract better coaches in the future, in other words accentuate the positives. The positives for outweigh the negatives, so I think your belief that we should have waited until now is incorrect. Exactly!

Edited by Green Dozer