DRC Baylor on DeGrate's mine

OldTimer

Baylor on DeGrate's mind

But winning would be forward's best revenge against former team

12/30/2002

By TIM MACMAHON / Denton Record-Chronicle

Michael DeGrate doesn't have fond memories of his brief stint at Baylor.

He basically wasted a season's worth of eligibility before leaving the campus as quickly as possible. He had 15 points and 11 rebounds in 33 minutes, which would be pretty impressive for per-game averages. But those were his statistics for his entire freshman season.

DeGrate, now the starting power forward at North Texas after a year at McLennan Community College, returns to the Ferrell Center for the first time in another uniform Monday night. The Mean Green's game at Baylor tips off at 8 p.m.

"I put this on my calendar at the beginning of the year," DeGrate said in a determined tone.

But DeGrate understands that it isn't in UNT's best interests if personal payback is his priority. His goal is to help the Mean Green get a win at Baylor, which UNT hasn't accomplished since 1983.

"I'm going to stay in the system and play with the team I have," DeGrate said. "It'll show [what Baylor missed out on.]"

DeGrate, who recruiting analyst Mike Mitchell ranked as one of the top 25 junior-college players in the country last season, is just beginning show UNT the kind of contributions he can make. He has averaged 10.8 points on 65-percent shooting in the four games since he was inserted into the starting lineup.

For the most part, DeGrate was a non-factor in the first five games of the season, failing to score in double figures during that span. UNT coach Johnny Jones said DeGrate had to play his way into shape after working full-time this summer and experienced some of the struggles most junior-college transfers do when making the transition to Division I.

"Mike has the qualities and the ability to make that adjustment," Jones said. "He's gradually making it. He's making some strides. The proof has been what he's done the last few games. His confidence is starting to grow."

Added DeGrate, whose playing time has also been limited by persistent foul trouble: "I think I'm fitting in. It's coming to me. I knew it would take some time."

The 6-8, 225-pound DeGrate gives the Mean Green another scoring threat, which is key with the season-ending injury to shooting guard Leonard Hopkins.

While he has the ability to score in the post, DeGrate is most comfortable facing the basket. His range and soft touch on his jumper and quickness make him a difficult matchup for most power forwards. His 61-percent field-goal percentage easily leads the team.

"He's got a nice jump shot and he can score in bunches," UNT swingman Chris Davis said. "When he's hot and he gets going, we're going to feed him the ball. We've just got to get him more minutes. When he gets his 30 minutes [per game], there's no telling what he can do."

Baylor never found out. The Bears might Monday night.

TIM MACMAHON can be reached at 940-381-9572. His e-mail address is tmacmahon@dentonrc.com.