Breaking News -- Unt Men To Take Apr Hit

I wonder if this is why we held on to that last scholly?

Gotta love how a program gets punished for a player that doesn't have a minute of PT that transfers to another school, especially when that player doesn't meet their academic obligations for free tuition.

This is really too bad...UNT could use that scholarship, and, as I understand it, UNT's score was 924...one point below the required 925 to retain the scholarship. Man, I wonder who is getting punished here and for what???? Yes, thanks Flemmings...BUT, there is a real lesson to be learned here...recruit good kids who meet the academic standards and who have a solid chance of graduating on time. Taking a "risk" on a marginally qualified kid (either academic-wise or character-wise) can cost you. And, it can cost you in more ways than one. Now, maybe some good kids around the nation who can play and "make their grades, will get another chance....Hmmmmmmm, I wonder?

This is really too bad, but probably knew it was coming and saved the scholarship. If so, good move athletic dept in that sense. Now, let's give scholarships to kids who have a chance of graduating. A real chance of graduating and who meet every one of the requirements for admission in the first place.

I've followed UNT hoops since 1975....and IMHO....Coach Jones has been our best coach ever, when it comes to graduating kids. So, I think he and his support staff (including academic advisors) do a great job in this regard.

To give you an idea of how NCAA Academic standards have tightened over the years: In 1978...we had a senior player....named Melvin "Lurch" Davis. Great player. The story was....that he had accumulated 29 hours in 3+ years...and most of those were PE.

Edited by SUMG