Who Said Football Players Were Tough ?

MeanGreen61

Off the Froggie board :ph34r:

Three Tar Heels players robbed, sexually assaulted

By JESSICA ROCHA

(Raleigh) News & Observer

Published on: 12/21/07

Police in Chapel Hill, N.C., have charged two women with sexually assaulting three North Carolina football players, according to police and arrest warrants. A man was also charged with trying to rob the players during the weekend incident.

The players didn't suffer physical injuries, but police found two of them in boxer shorts bound with tape and said the men told them they had been fondled against their will early Sunday morning.

Monique Jenice Taylor, 28, was charged with resisting a public officer, three counts of first-degree kidnapping, three counts of felony conspiracy and three counts of first-degree sex offense. The charges were the same for Tnika Monta Washington, 29, but included just one count of first-degree sex offense, according to court records.

Michael Troy Lewis, 32, was charged with three counts each of kidnapping, conspiracy, and attempted felony larceny, and two counts each of robbery with a dangerous weapon, assault on a government official, and one count of resisting an officer.

Bail for all three was initially set at $500,000 but Washington and Taylor's bails were both reduced to $50,000 Thursday. Lewis' remained at $500,000.

During a bail hearing Thursday afternoon, Assistant District Attorney Morgan Whitney gave some details of the evening but stressed that the information was a preliminary report based on one officer's notes.

Whitney said the three players had gone to a couple of downtown Chapel Hill bars to celebrate one of their birthdays. They met Washington, Taylor and Lewis, who gave the players a ride home, according to police and lawyers for the accused. Then the players invited the three up to the apartment.

One of the players was very drunk, and was taken to lie down, according to a police report that Whitney cited.

The other two apparently had some consensual sexual contact with the women, but became uncomfortable and wanted to stop, Whitney said. At some point the players' hands were tied with tape, Chapel Hill police said in a news release.

One of the players called 911, and police arrived to find two of the men were in their boxer shorts. The third player was clothed, Whitney said.

One player said when he asked a woman to stop touching him both Taylor and Washington began punching him in the head, Whitney said.

In one account given in court Thursday, one player said Lewis stood naked with a butcher knife at his neck, that the player's pants were pulled off and that someone tried to tie his hands with a belt.

Defense attorneys Susan Seahorn and Glenn Gerding both said the sexual activity seemed to be consensual.

Lewis is accused of taking the contents of two wallets valued at $100, and trying to take $3,000 worth of computer and entertainment equipment. He is also accused of biting a police officer in the groin and pushing him down stairs to elude arrest, according to arrest warrants.

In a news release, UNC football coach Butch Davis said: "I am relieved that the players were not injured."

The players' status with the team has not changed, a team spokesman said

With all the North Carolina connections in my family by marriage, I am frankly embarressed by this incident, and (I almost hate to say this in the context of a report on crimes against persons), have been somewhat embarrassed by the state of football at UNC Chapel Hill and NC State. And, since I am putting this in a geographical context to some extent, I do agree that Wake Forest has the football program that the other well known church related (although WFU is no longer church affiliated, don't know about Duke) college should strive to emulate. I think the words were to the effect that Wake Forest is the football program that the other NC college with the demonically named mascot should look to as a model. Blue Devils, be like ye Demon Deacons!

Oh well, I guess UNC, NC State, and Duke have had the good basketball programs.

Short version, GO APPALACHIAN STATE!