Smitty

and NEVADA gets a BOWL bid by :

going 6 - 6 beating this stellar group :

Utah State ( 2 - 10 )

Idaho ( 1 - 11 )

NMSU ( 4 - 9 )

Louisiana Tech ( 5 - 7 )

UNLV ( 2 - 10 )

& to top it all off they a WIN vs Nicholls State a team who went 3 - 4 this year in the SOUTHLAND conference.

:angry:

Just a couple of weeks ago, Troy was getting scattered top 25 votes and now, they can't even get a bid to some pissant bowl??? I grant you, losing their last game (at home) wasn't very good but they did lose to a pretty decent FAU team. I know people on here say the 'Belt is on the rise and all that but I don't know if we will see any real rise in national respect in our lifetimes. I was no real fan of accepting a WAC invitation since it first came up but this kind of snub to a Troy team that was and is the class of our conference kind of gets me rethinking things. <_<

Just a couple of weeks ago, Troy was getting scattered top 25 votes and now, they can't even get a bid to some pissant bowl??? I grant you, losing their last game (at home) wasn't very good but they did lose to a pretty decent FAU team. I know people on here say the 'Belt is on the rise and all that but I don't know if we will see any real rise in national respect in our lifetimes. I was no real fan of accepting a WAC invitation since it first came up but this kind of snub to a Troy team that was and is the class of our conference kind of gets me rethinking things. <_<

Troy did get an at large invite to a bowl a few years ago. I think that WW is working on a new bowl in Florida that will have a SBC host.

Too many bowl elgible teams this year. The only way the # 2 SBC ever got in was because one of the conferences couldn't fill it's spots. Just shows more of a split between the BCS conferences and everybody else...can't let too many little guys play in bowl games. By my estimation ( I don't have a lot of time to look all this up and have hobbies other than college football so cut me some slack if there are obvious mistakes :)

ACC 6 bowl tie ins, Big East 3, Big 10 6, Big 12 6, C-USA 5, MAC 3, Mt West 4, PAC 10 5, SEC 7, WAC 3, SUNBELT 1 There are some other mixed tie ins that I didn't count and that doesn't take into account BCS bowls. 7-5 teams are picked before 6-6 teams for at large spots or spots the othere conf. can't fill. Only the PAC 10 could not fill their tie ins. So if I were in charge of a mid level team I would never play a BCS school cause that would hurt my chances to be 7-5 and pick up an empty spot but if I were in charge of a BCS school I would always want to play a mid level to make sure I was at least 6-6 to get one of the many bowl tie ins from my conf. I say stop playing BCS schools and work on getting the money from the fan base. Make the games more fun, push the marketing win some games. Maybe too simplistic but makes sense to me.

Edited by ShopMeanGreen