Dmn Uh's Briles...interviewed..no Baylor Offer At This Time

OldTimer

Houston AD: Briles not offered Baylor job

07:37 PM CST on Tuesday, November 27, 2007

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

brdavis@dallasnews.com

Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw did not offer Houston coach Art Briles the job of head football coach on Tuesday, Houston athletic director Dave Maggard said.

McCaw and Briles met at an undisclosed location in Dallas and then Briles went home.

“Art just indicated that they talked in general teams and no offer was made,” Maggard said. “He thought they would resolve it in probably the next couple of days,” Maggard said.

Briles also told Houston TV station KRIV-TV the same thing when he landed at Houston Hobby airport.

“They called me and wanted to talk,” Briles told the TV station. “I’m still a Cougar and still proud to be a Cougar.”

Briles, who will be 52 next Monday, has turned UH into a competitive program known for high-flying offenses.

The Cougars went 18-8 the last two seasons and won the 2006 Conference USA championship. The team will play in the Texas Bowl against a Big 12 opponent on Dec. 28. Briles is 34-28 in five seasons overall at UH.

McCaw has not returned phone messages since beginning the search to replace Guy Morriss, who was fired Nov. 19.

Briles is the second coach known to interview. Former Baylor three-time All-American Mike Singletary interviewed with McCaw last week and then turned the Bears down.

Baylor had targeted former Arkansas coach Houston Nutt. But Nutt will be introduced as the new coach at Mississippi on Wednesday.

Briles is waiting to see if the Tech job comes open before he accepts BU job....

Even though it would almost kill my brother, I would love to see the Mad Pirate take his circus to Arkansas.

That fan base is the definiton of crazy, and with that mad man in charge things would get interesting fast.

In five years they would have either won a national championship or all drank poisoned red kool aid.

koolaidmanpe8.jpg

Intresting article on Leach from a few years ago: Link.

Good read.

Not to belabor this, but Leach can be pretty funny:

Up in the sky boxes, the wife of an Aggie assistant coach insulted every female Red Raider in earshot by saying that at least she lived in College Station instead of Lubbock. ("First of all, we just beat them, 56-17," Leach says when told of the incident. "By rights she should now be a Red Raider slave.")
"The thing is, they aren't actually in the military. I ought to have Mike's Pirate School. The freshmen, all they get is the bandanna. When you're a senior, you get the sword and skull and crossbones. For homework, we'll work pirate maneuvers and stuff like that."