I Like This Attitude

emmitt01

From an article about Miami's new head coach Shannon...

Meet the new coach. Same as the old coach, sort of.

"I'm the same guy," Shannon said. "I'm not going to change. The only thing I'm doing, I'm embracing the whole team instead of just the defense. The defensive players know what the expectations are. They know how I am as a coach. The offensive guys have got to learn that."

Shannon introduced the entire team to his brand of discipline: If a player fails to maintain a 2.5 grade-point average, he must live on campus. If Shannon's phone rings after midnight about any player, that player doesn't play the next game. Hats may not be worn inside the football building or at team meals.

It comes down to this: Do what you're supposed to do.

"Sean Taylor came late one day to meeting," Shannon said of his 2003 All-American safety. "Everybody on defense knew this: If you come late to meetings, you just got demoted. No questions asked. If you miss meetings, late, whatever: If you're first team, you go to second; second team, to third; third team, you probably won't travel. They knew that.

"I came to practice. Sean came out, put the guy behind him in front of him and Sean went back to second team. Never said a word. He knew what was expected because he wasn't better than nobody on the team. He was just like everybody else.

"We played the game that week. He was ranting and raving, high-fiving the guys, yelling, 'Keep going! Keep going!' and then we played Sean in the second quarter. That's when you know you can create a good atmosphere, when you got guys, when they do wrong, accept it, move on and get the other guy to do better than what he's doing."

Is this the school that got into a brawl with Florida International?

If so what happened to the discipline after that incident!!!!!!!!

That is a big part of why a new coach was needed. And from these quotes, it sounds like Shannon may be just what Miami needs--a Butch Davis no-nonsense type guy.