Spring Football Daily Outlook - Running Backs

MeanGreen61

Spring Football Daily Outlook

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 04/16/2007

DENTON (4/11/07) - MeanGreenSports.com is previewing the 2007 North Texas football team with daily updates that will break down the team’s outlook by position. The updates will continue over the next seven days, leading up to the annual Green and White Game that will be played at Fouts Field on Sunday, April 22 at 3 p.m.

Running Back

Dodge is careful to caution that just because his passing offense is highly productive doesn’t mean that he has forgone the running game. In fact, he states, that his running backs are a very valuable part of his team’s overall success. Jamario Thomas led the nation in rushing as a true freshman in 2003 before being nagged by injuries the past two seasons. Thomas is healthy for his senior season and is expected to make a run at becoming the school’s all-time leading rusher, which will require him to return to his old form. Thomas already ranks third on the career rushing leaders list at North Texas with 2,830 yards and will need 1,221 yards to overtake his former teammate Patrick Cobbs. Senior Deavin Cox has seen spot duty over the past two years, but carried the ball 58 times in 2006. Cox and junior college transfer Cam Montgomery will provide an interesting battle for Thomas during spring practice as they all try to adjust to the new system. Montgomery was rated as the third-best JUCO running back in the nation last year at Northeast Mississippi JC.

Top Returning Rushers:

Jamario Thomas - 181 att., 668 yards, 2 TD

Deavin Cox - 58 att., 204 yards

Head Coach Todd Dodge on Running Backs

"Jamario Thomas and Deavin Cox have really impressed me this spring. I knew what Jamario has done here, but until I actually saw him in live action I didn’t know exactly what we had. Perhaps the thing that I have been most impressed with Jamario is his improvement in the blitz pickup. Deavin is very versatile and I didn’t realize how fast he was until we got into spring ball. Cam Montgomery is still learning everything and he is becoming more confident and more acclimated every day. People always ask how running backs fit into this offense and I have to remind them that we had 1,700-yard rushers during our state championship runs at Carroll. These running backs are definitely a strength of the offense.”

I really hope Jamario is healthy! I want him to have a big year this season!

With Coach Dodge's no huttle spread offense, the running back is featured more

than you think. Once the offense spreads out the defense, I do not think there

will be 8 or 9 in the "box" to try to stop Jamario. This offense should give Jamario

more lanes and options, to use his speed!

Cox, I beleive, is a very good running back also.He needs more opportunities, so,

I hope Coach Dodge can work cox into more running plays as well as slot receiver.

I watched some of Cam Montgomery's high light videos-WOW! This guy has it all-

Big tall back back, great speed/moves! Runs over people! I can see Coach Dodge

using Montgomery many differnt ways to take advantage of his tallents.

Our new recruit, Mosley-I am excited about this guy coming in this fall. Maybe Coach

Dodge can use him as a SR or WR. Put up big numbers in HS, 3 year starter!

I beleive our running game is going to be a big advantage for us this season!