Spring Football Daily Outlook - Safeties

MeanGreen61

Spring Football Daily Outlook

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 04/13/2007

DENTON (4/11/07) - MeanGreenSports.com is previewing the 2007 North Texas football team with daily updates that will break down the team’s outlook by position. The updates will continue over the next nine days, leading up to the annual Green and White Game that will be played at Fouts Field on Sunday, April 22 at 3 p.m.

Safeties

The secondary could hold the key to the defense in 2007. With the transition to the 4-3 up front, the experienced safety duo of Aaron Weathers and Roy Loren give the coaching staff confidence that the backfield is in good hands. Weathers has led the team in tackles the past two seasons and his 191 career tackles is more than any of his teammates. After being named the Sun Belt Newcomer of the Year in 2005, Weathers backed it up by being named honorable mention all-conference in 2006.

The other safety spot should go to the incumbent Roy Loren who earned seven starts after returning from a broken hand in 2006. Loren had 33 tackles in just eight games as a junior last year. Senior Roderick Cotton and junior Steve Warren are both two-year lettermen and have extensive experience over the past two years. Warren started three games in 2006 while Cotton received one start. Senior Cliff Higgs also earned a start in 2006 and has been a dependable backup over the past three years. Higgs will be available to add experience and depth. The coaching staff is really high on Kartey Agbottah who played in 10 games as a redshirt freshman last year.

Top Returning Tacklers in Safety Corps

Aaron Weathers – 78

Roy Loren – 33

Roderick Cotton – 23

Cliff Higgs - 17

Defensive Coordinator Ron Medoza on the safeties:

"We know that we have two very capable safeties in Aaron Weathers and Roy Loren. Weathers has been every bit as good as advertised and because he has been so good in past years, our expectations of him this year are high. We have a lot of guys who have quality game experience and that will benefit them in the learning process. You can teach guys a new system but you can’t teach them what it’s like to play in a game, so we are thankful that a lot of guys already have that. In our system, safety is the hardest position to play, along with outside linebacker. We are confident that we have the guys that can be very successful back there.”

Boy, am I glad NT has several good experienced safeties comming back!

Also, Greg Garden from Navy, will be availble I beleive in 2008. Latif Nurudeen,

the "walk on" from Baylor is making strides.

I never like to see the safety position leading a defense in tackles, so, hopefully the

experience and depth at the LB position, and our good DE's, can pressure the QB's

this year, and make the safeties job alittle easier!

Guest GrayEagleOne

We are in great shape at safety this year. Excellent starters with good backups. The only real problem is that we are overloaded with seniors. Weathers, Loren, Cotton and Higgs are all in their last year of eligibility. Warren plays smart and they say that Agbottah is a comer. He played in ten games last year but all were on special teams.

Jones and Buckles were great safeties. Dehati Lewis was a great safety. Great safeties hit like linebackers. We don't have one of those here yet. I do think that Loren has that potential.

Agreed.

Does anyone feel like they could have written these articles? Not much as far as in depth analysis or how players look this spring, etc... Pretty basic write-ups.

Jones and Buckles were great safeties. Dehati Lewis was a great safety. Great safeties hit like linebackers. We don't have one of those here yet. I do think that Loren has that potential.

Jonas and Buckles?

My bad--I read what you had said wrong.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Jonas and Buckles?

My bad--I read what you had said wrong.

Jones and Buckles were the best two safeties we've ever had. By that I mean, the best set that played together. If Craig Jones was about .3 of a second faster, he'd be playing on Sundays.

Agreed.

Does anyone feel like they could have written these articles? Not much as far as in depth analysis or how players look this spring, etc... Pretty basic write-ups.

I am glad they are putting out some information, but if I was trying to sell you a car with these descriptions you'd look elsewhere. This is all of NT football until August and if they are trying to stir excitement and push season tickets wouldn't you go more in depth on reports? Where's the beef? Tell us some stats for a practice, who made some great catches, hard hits, clutch interceptions. Oh ya, and tell us when a scrimmage might be postponed or has been cancelled. Thanks, the Fans.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Craig Jones and Jonas Buckles were the hardest hitters as a tandem to play safety. They were both very good/great safeties. But, don't undersell Aaron Weathers. He may not hit as hard but he is uncanny when it comes to knowing where to be. Two years ago he had 113 tackles. That would have been about two years worth for Buckles and a year and a half for Jones. Last year his total was down in the 80s but that still ranked fifth in the conference. For that, he gets an HM. Gross injustice. Loren was on pace to do about 50 but the injury cut him to eight games. I think that he will thrive in Mendoza's defense and have a great year.

He may not hit as hard but he is uncanny when it comes to knowing where to be. Two years ago he had 113 tackles. That would have been about two years worth for Buckles and a year and a half for Jones.

Oh, I like Weathers, but those totals are the result of being weak up front. He wouldn't come close to that total playing behind Booger, McIver, Daniels, Awasome, Casey, Hurd and Spencer