Fw*telegram Nt's Davis Is Feeling Better

OldTimer

Posted on Tue, Mar. 13, 2007 UNT's Davis is feeling better

By TROY PHILLIPS

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DENTONA week ago, North Texas guard Kendrick Davis felt so bad that putting on a pair of sweats was work.

That warmed-over look Davis had is gone in time for the NCAA Tournament, his stomach and the rest of him are quite thankful.

Davis recounted a miserable 48 hours last week in Lafayette, La., as he was overcome by a stomach virus before UNT's Sun Belt semifinal victory against Middle Tennessee.

Davis didn't suit up for the Middle Tennessee game and couldn't even stand up off the bench without getting dizzy, but he was back the next night for the championship against Arkansas State.

Other than being able to walk and run without getting sick, little improved the next night and Davis played only nine minutes while his teammates made UNT's final push to the NCAAs.

During a celebratory timeout after one of Rich Young's dunks, Justin Howerton bumped a fist into Davis' chest and nearly knocked him to the floor.

"Man, that really hurt," Davis remembers of Howerton's punch. "My body... man, that was probably the worst I've felt in a long time."

Calipari: Jones gets it done

Memphis coach John Calipari has gotten to know UNT coach Johnny Jones since the two crossed paths in 2000, when Jones wasn't retained as interim coach at Memphis and Calipari was hired.

He said he expected tape of UNT to show an athletic team that rebounds and shoots well, since he inherited a good base of talent from Jones.

"I've followed what he's done at North Texas," Calipari said of Jones. "It's a hard job. You're in that state with all those teams down there and still getting it done. C'mon now, he's done a fabulous job."

Busy week

Spring football practice at UNT starts today, but it will have to wait at least a week to be the main campus sports attraction as the men's basketball team prepares to face Memphis in the NCAA Tournament.

To new football coach Todd Dodge, the success in men's basketball only reinforces that he's at a place where success on a conference and/or national level is possible.

"Gosh, I'm just so proud for Johnny and his program," Dodge said. "I haven't known him long, but what a class guy who does things the right way. Any and all success for UNT is good for all of us."

Football players on Friday should just be able to get in their hoops watching; that day's spring practice is at 3:30 p.m., or three hours after the UNT-Memphis tip.

Tickets going

UNT received an initial allotment of 500-600 tickets for the first round, and ticket-office officials said those are expected to sell out by late afternoon today.

At that point, UNT has an option to order more tickets for Friday's opening round in New Orleans.

Players in the NCAA Tournament are each given up to four tickets. How many coaches receive has not been determined, but Johnny Jones said for his own sanity, "I need to get out of the ticket business."

"It takes a long time to get everybody who wants a ticket taken care of," Jones said.

Troy Phillips, 817-390-7760 tphillips@star-telegram.com