Fund Raiser

I dont understand... with the money that needs to be spent on campus, why does the athletic department allows fund raiser buckets for HS athletics. I do support local athletics, both High School and College, but should we really have a bucket for the denton broncos?? One of my best friends is a coach for the broncos and if he would have been with me I would have given him all kinds of grief.

That being said it is a easy way to get money as people tend to dump their change. Maybe that money should stay in the UNT system?

arn't the people working in the consession stands from that high school?

I know that at the football games, one of the Boy Scout troops sells hot chocolate. I think it's a way for UNT to reach out to the community. I don't have a problem with it, since it gives the university "good will" points.

We can't force people to take their change from the HS buckets and put it into UNT athletics.

We take care of our stuff, and everything will come our way. Allowing the high schoolers to put out some buckets for small donations doesn't hurt us at all. I think it's great. Not sure what you're suggesting. How would taking away their booths/buckets really help our own athletics funding?

We can't force people to take their change from the HS buckets and put it into UNT athletics.

We take care of our stuff, and everything will come our way. Allowing the high schoolers to put out some buckets for small donations doesn't hurt us at all. I think it's great. Not sure what you're suggesting. How would taking away their booths/buckets really help our own athletics funding?

If they are working the concession stand to raise money for the school and it is a win win then fine. But IMHO most people do not seek out the buckets to donate to their favorite charity. It is a convenience gift. I personally dont think (in this particular case) that what the bucket says determines if someone gives. They are giving to student athletes. And I think that if someone gives to student athletes at a UNT event it should go to UNT athletics. If we were in a better financial situation I would not care. Now if someone wants to sell hot chocolate... then fine.

NOT that this would ever happen... BUT... We are at the basketball game. A public announcement is made that 2 buckets will be sent through the stands. The money from one will go to a local HS athletic department. The money from the other will be used for UNT. Which bucket will we put our money into? Me... UNT (atleast for now).

This is just my opinion. And again I do believe in supporting HS athletics just not when it takes money out of our own pocket. It would be different if it were to a non athletic charity.

If they are working the concession stand to raise money for the school and it is a win win then fine. But IMHO most people do not seek out the buckets to donate to their favorite charity. It is a convenience gift. I personally dont think (in this particular case) that what the bucket says determines if someone gives. They are giving to student athletes. And I think that if someone gives to student athletes at a UNT event it should go to UNT athletics. If we were in a better financial situation I would not care. Now if someone wants to sell hot chocolate... then fine.

NOT that this would ever happen... BUT... We are at the basketball game. A public announcement is made that 2 buckets will be sent through the stands. The money from one will go to a local HS athletic department. The money from the other will be used for UNT. Which bucket will we put our money into? Me... UNT (atleast for now).

This is just my opinion. And again I do believe in supporting HS athletics just not when it takes money out of our own pocket. It would be different if it were to a non athletic charity.

I see your point, and to some extent I can agree with you. However, you can't put a price on good will. North Texas for so long didn't reach out into the community. In fact, don't we all comment that if only Denton would get involved at North Texas, how incredible our attendance and support would be? If allowing high schoolers to sell concessions to make money during our games brings community good will, then I say it's worth the small potential hit to our pocketbooks. It could come back to us in spades.

Consider, a five-star high school athlete at Krum or some other small school in the area grows up raising money at North Texas games. Because fans at North Texas sporting events supported his/her sport and the staff were always kind, maybe allowing the players to meet their college counterparts or something like that, this fantastic athlete has a soft spot for North Texas. Perhaps the kid decides to play for North Texas, or perhaps the kid moves away from athletics, gets rich, and donates money to the school. These are all daydream scenarios, but you never know what kind word or action will bring about a good return.

If you don't buy either of those scenarios, consider this one far more likely: some high school freshman has to work concessions to raise money for her sport. Her parents have to drive her to the game, and since they're already there, they decide to come in and watch a basketball/football/soccer/volleyball/whatever game. They enjoy the atmosphere so much that they decide to come to more games even when their child isn't working concessions. Suddenly, you have community fans who would never have supported North Texas except for the circumstance.

I thought that I was fairly clear. Selling is one thing asking us to put into a bucket is another. I am literally talking about donation buckets for student athletes that are not UNT athletes. They may be one day but not now.

Oh you were very clear. You just didn't listen afterwards. If the students who work the concession stand are from Denton High School then we allow them to set out buckets benefiting DENTON HIGH SCHOOL because it shows a measure of good will towards the community. They aren't working the concession stand because they truly enjoy the thrill of serving nachos. They're doing it FOR the money that is put in those buckets. We allow them exposure to a college crowd and all of the residual snack bar money that it might entail...they serve us dollar hot dogs. This aint advanced math.

Furthermore, do you not remember the speech Todge gave when he was hired? His exact words were "I want this to be the metroplex's team." That starts with trying to open a line of give/take with the community.