More Good News from

Mad Hatter

North Texas Hammers Florida Atlantic 4-0

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 10/01/2006

Courtesy: Rick Yeatts

DENTON, Tex. (10/1/06) - Junior forward Heather Hutyra continued her offensive resurgence with two goals and an assist as the North Texas women’s soccer team routed Florida Atlantic 4-0.

The win extends the North Texas (8-2-2, 4-0) unbeaten streak to seven games overall and at home to 20 games without a loss.

Hutyra’s two goals mark the eighth time in her career that she has had a multi-goal game and the third time that she has done it in back-to-back games.

The Mean Green struck first in the 30th minute of play as Hutyra beat the Owls (4-6-2, 1-3) defense after a perfect feed from midfielder Dani Slavonic. Hutyra nailed a shot from 20 yards out in the top right corner making it 1-0 North Texas.

North Texas added its second goal of the day late in the first half. With the clock running down, Slavonic quickly fired a perfect corner kick that found Julie Radford in front of the net who headed in the goal with four seconds left in the half.

North Texas made it 3-0 as Kendall Juett notched her eighth goal of the season in the 49th minute of play.

Hutyra capped the game off with her eighth goal of the year in the 52nd minute. She slipped past two defenders and goalkeeper Jessica Badders to score and give the Mean Green a 4-0 cushion.

Goalkeeper Kandice Ellis made one save on the afternoon as she played 81 minutes and was relieved by freshman Melanie Peterson who finished up the final nine minutes in goal.

North Texas returns to action on Friday, October 6 as they begin a two-game road trip at Troy.

Big win, volleyball team also beat the MUTS today.

Great game today, lots of movement in the offense. FAU was moving some offensive players around to help with defending our attack. We need this very same effort every game from here on out, and we should get it. We have dominated midifield play of late, and we are getting the offensive weapons going, which has resulted in more balanced defensive sets so we are getting better looks at goal. I was not as impressed with FAU as the hype that preceeded their appearance here today. They are young team and will be better as they season, but they were flat overmatched today. Defense was very coordinated in the back today, not sure what the final tally was but late in game FAU had only had three shots on goal, and two were in first half. Think they ended up with only 5. The corner kick with seconds left in the first half was a killer putaway.

Has the team worked out some of it's issues that seemed to crop up earlier in the season?  It sounds like we're doing quite well right now.

In my very humble opinion...

1. We are getting healthy, still a couple players that are still not at last years level physically, but getting better.

2. Defense and midfield are taking control of the game much earlier, creating better quality opportunities, resulting in higher percentage shot opportunities. Defensive line has been awesome last two games. We are winning more balls in the air too!

3. Hutyra is exploding now, she looks way more confident in last three games.

4. Getting scoring from multiple players, and we are finding those players with good quality passing. We are finishing better, and we are putting teams away early! The real plus there is that we are keeping the bench sharp by getting them extra minutes, while keeping the starters rested.

We dismantled a very capable team yesterday in all areas of the game. I think that while our competition (Denver, MTSU) are putting up big scoring numbers against weaker conference teams, we still have the best team for playing both ends of the field. I think we will be a superior defensive team to MTSU, and Denver, and I believe our offensive experience and offensive struggles in non-conference games this year will give us the confidence to win and will be the difference against a strong defensive team like Denver. I still think our complete game is better than any strength advantage those two teams may have in certain areas of the game. We just cannot afford to create an unnecessary must-win situation by stumping our toe on the lesser teams leading up to these showdowns. We may in fact get some help along the way before we have to go head to head. We just need to be even up, or the one with advantage heading into those key games.......my two cents.

When are those games against Denver and MTSU? 

How are the crowds at the Home Games?

Well if we aren't working against ourselves from a scheduling perspective, like this weekend for instance, it has been fairly good. Hard to compete against VB and Pep Rally and Friday night in general, so this Friday was weak early, but got bigger as night went along. Think we had about 400 Friday and a good crowd for Sunday, about 350. I believe if we would promote in youth leagues and around campus just a little bit, we could get 500- 600 for a big game like MTSU....

Last three games will decide it....Friday 10/20 is W Ky at home, Sunday 10/22 is MTSU at home (we need a pep rally or a tailgate for this one!! who has the inside track on getting that to happen? smile.gif ), and Denver on the road on Friday 10/27. Survive that gauntlet, and should be prepared for tournament and anything the NCAA's can give us in first round. wink.gif

Last three games will decide it....Friday 10/20 is W Ky at home, Sunday 10/22 is MTSU at home (we need a pep rally or a tailgate for this one!! who has the inside track on getting that to happen? smile.gif ), and Denver on the road on Friday 10/27.  Survive that gauntlet, and should be prepared for tournament and anything the NCAA's can give us in first round.  wink.gif

I'm going to try to make it to the MUTS game. I'm anxious to see the new field, and of course to see my daughter's picture that I just heard about today. I've had a harder time following the team this year, but it sounded like we were off to a pretty good start then Grambling tied us???????? What happened there? The last time I remember playing them it was about 6000 to 0 and that was only because we were kind. How in the world did they tie us??

I'm going to try to make it to the MUTS game.  I'm anxious to see the new field, and of course to see my daughter's picture that I just heard about today.  I've had a harder time following the team this year, but it sounded like we were off to a pretty good start then Grambling tied us????????  What happened there?  The last time I remember playing them it was about 6000 to 0 and that was only because we were kind.  How in the world did they tie us??

Bad day was all. We had 30+ shots on goal I think , sank one... they had 3 or 5 and sank one. We had one called back for offside that was questionable. Hutyra missed half the game with an injury sustained in the game, and was in and out trying to get taped. Couple of others struggled through injuries in the game. Had played 5 games in 9days. And we shot poorly. All adds up to a bad performance. But, we have regrouped nicely and are starting to put together a very strong all-around game.