Malone Does End Up at Arizona St.

UNTLifer

From The Meaner and Greener Board:

ASU Hires Van Malone To Be Running Backs Coach

Malone comes to Arizona State after having spent the past year at the University of North Texas as the defensive backs coach.

Feb. 7, 2006

TEMPE, Ariz.--Arizona State University Head Football Coach Dirk Koetter announced Tuesday that he has named former National Football League player and University of Texas All-American Van Malone as Running Backs Coach. Malone comes to Arizona State after having spent the past year at the University of North Texas as the defensive backs coach. Malone takes the place of Tom Nordquist, who after five seasons with the Sun Devils resigned to pursue other career interests.

"Tom Nordquist had been with me as a coach since 1998,"says Koetter. "He handled all aspects of his responsibilities very well, including recruiting the state of Arizona. We have signed 42 Arizonans to letters of intent while here at ASU and a lot of that credit goes to Tom. I wish him nothing but the best as he and his family move on to the next challenge in life.

"In Van Malone we have one of the most impressive young coaches in the college football world," says Koetter. "During the first 10 minutes I spoke with Van about this position I knew this was a person I had to have on my staff at ASU. Van has played the game at every level and has played for and worked under many of the top names in football, including Larry Marmie, Darrell Dickey, Jim Eddy, David McWilliams and Gary Darnell. The addition of Van also gives us a nice mixture of youth and experience on the offensive side of the football and a strong recruiting presence in his hometown of Houston, Texas."

"I am very excited to become a part of the great tradition that is Arizona State University football," says Malone. "I was very impressed with quality of the staff and the makeup of the student-athletes. I am thrilled to be joining the Sun Devil program."

Malone served as the Defensive Backs Coach, the Head Coach for the Punt Block Team and was the Co-Head Coach for the Kickoff Team at the University of North Texas in 2005. He also assisted the defensive coordinator with developing strategies to field a competitive defensive unit. Under Head Coach Darrell Dickey Malone's main recruiting areas were Houston, Texas and Southeast Texas.

Prior to being hired at North Texas, Malone was the Cornerbacks Coach at Western Michigan University from 2004-2005. He assisted with the special teams units while recruiting Chicago, Illinois, Gary, Indiana and Houston, Texas.

As a Wide Receivers Coach at North Dakota State University in 2003-2004, Malone also assisted with all special teams units and assisted the offensive coordinator in offensive strategy. He recruited Houston, Texas, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Chicago, Illinois, Minneapolis, Minnesota and Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Also in 2003, Malone served an NFL Minority Coaching Fellowship with the Detroit Lions.

Upon graduating from the University of Texas in 1993, Malone was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the second round as the 57th selection overall in 1994. He played in every game as a rookie in 1994 and was nominated as a special teams player for the AFC-NFC Pro Bowl in 1994 and 1995. He started 16 games in 1996, was named the special teams captain and was awarded the game ball three times. Malone signed a free agent contract with the Arizona Cardinals in 1998. He officially retired from the NFL after the 1998 season due to an injury. Malone was a third-team All-American and All-Southwest Conference performer at defensive back for the University of Texas in 1993. He was the Longhorns' Special Teams Player of the Year in 1990 and served as the team captain in 1993. He won the Darrell Royal Award for tenacity in 1993. As a freshman Malone made The Sporting News' Freshman All-American Team. In 1990 Texas was the Conference Champion while the defense led the nation in pass defense and pass efficiency defense (again in 1991). Texas finished the regular season ranked No. 3 nationally in 1990. Malone played in the 1992 Blue-Gray All-Star Classic and the 1993 Hula Bowl game.

After his professional career Malone worked in the Public Relations office of the Lions between 1994 and 1998 as a team speaker. He was a True Value/National Football League NFL Man Of The Year semi-finalist. Other awards Malone won were the Houston Coaches Association Assistant Coach of the Year and the Houston HISD Police Department "Lifesaver of the Year Award."

Between 1994 and 1998 Malone was a Marketing Intern with Reebok International in Detroit, Michigan. During that same time Malone provided post-game analysis and commentary for Fox Television Sports as a co-host in Detroit (Fox2).

From 1997 until now Malone was a Football Coordinator/Youth Camp Director at the Texas Sports Development Academy in San Antonio, Texas. He also was the Head of the Organization Committee and Co-Founder for New Beginnings, a non-profit charity organization in Houston.

Malone serves as on the National Minority Issues Committee and the Professional Development Committee of the American Football Coaches Association. He is a Life Member of the Texas High School Coaches Association and was a member of the Houston Coaches Association (1998-2003) and the Houston Area Minority Coaches Association (1998-2003). Additionally, he is a member of the National Black Coaches Association and the National Federation of High School Coaches Association.

M & G Board

It's so amazing how all of these bigger schools just keep hiring away our assistant coaches, but no one seems to want DD.......oh wait, no it isn't.....what was I thinking.

Wonder who's hiring, bringing in these coaches that the bigger schools decide they want? unsure.gif

Edited by MeanGreen61