this whole season....

gamebreaker

RV needs to get rid of the whole staff and start next year with a fresh new look...(offense) and actually get kids excited to come here and get fans excited to be a part of this. This latest incident was the last straw for me. I wont be back until something dramatic changes...I cant be associated with this kind of conduct.

RV needs to get rid of the whole staff and start next year with a fresh new look...(offense) and actually get kids excited to come here and get fans excited to be a part of this. This latest incident was the last straw for me. I wont be back until something dramatic changes...I cant be associated with this kind of conduct.

A. I don't think RV has enough authority to trash and hire new staff.

1.) The school doesn't have the money to buyout contracts and sign new ones.

2.) Chances are, the BOR won't let this happen.

B. Barring grades and injury, the fresh new look is the Scrambling QB.

1.) Meager looked better on Saturday than he has in awhile. He's got the ability to sit in and make the pass, but he's got to improve his passing in order to be the QB I'm almost certain he can be. People seem to forget that Scott Hall's freshman year wasn't at all his best, and alot of his passing success was due to a number of things:

a.) The OL was stronger and the opposing D didn't rush 8-9 like they do now.

b.) The SBC wasn't as competitive as it is now.

c.) A lot of people on this board only saw Scott Hall's last 2 years as QB.

2.) If Byerly can get his act together, he can be part of the change as well. He's also got great legs on him, and he could also help out in the QB position.

C. I don't know why you'd be associated with RF.

1.) No one outside of UNT probably knows who RF is, or even cares.

2.) No one will probably hold you accountable for RF's actions, so chill out. We know you're a hothead, but is silly.

B. Barring grades and injury, the fresh new look is the Scrambling QB.

1.) Meager looked better on Saturday than he has in awhile. He's got the ability to sit in and make the pass, but he's got to improve his passing in order to be the QB I'm almost certain he can be. People seem to forget that Scott Hall's freshman year wasn't at all his best, and alot of his passing success was due to a number of things:

a.) The OL was stronger and the opposing D didn't rush 8-9 like they do now.

I disagree.  We were AWFUL when Scott took over, and in those days we ran a lot more option so there were 8-9 in the box most of the time.  If our entire team was so much better, and the SBC was weaker, and given Hall's early success, we wouldn't have gone 2-9 (by the way, we weren't in the SBC yet in 2000).  Hall put up good numbers because he made good decisions.  You also seem to forget that Hall was an excellent runner.  Whether it was due to his pectoral injury or a change in offensive philosophy (going away from the option), he didn't run much after 2001.

b.) The SBC wasn't as competitive as it is now.

As long as by "competitive", you mean that everyone sucks pretty much equally.  Still, the SBC as a whole isn't any better now than it was when it started, but most of our team certainly is in regards to talent.

c.) A lot of people on this board only saw Scott Hall's last 2 years as QB.

I saw every year, including the first one.  Hall stepped into a MUCH more difficult situation than Meager has this year.  He didn't have two leading rushers (as much as I love Wilburn).  He didn't have Johnny Quinn.  The defense was a sieve.  He was a true freshman.  I'm tired of people downplaying how immediately successful Hall was as a QB in order to minimize the struggles Meager has had.  Meager IS getting better, but you could just say that not every QB starts out setting the world on fire, and for people to be patient.

2.) If Byerly can get his act together, he can be part of the change as well. He's also got great legs on him, and he could also help out in the QB position.

It's not wise to rely on people who can't do the minimum necessary to maintain their position.  SEE: Quincy Carter, Lawrence Phillips, etc.  The QB position, moreso than any other, requires the presence of a leader and someone you know you can count on.  If Byerly's back, I hope it's at another position.

Yeah, pretty much- for all of them.

Hall- I didn't get to see much of the 2000 season. I did see the little bit he did perform in practices in 2001, then everything with after that. He did run a lot less, but he still wasn't as fast as Meager.

SBC- Yeah, we're all on about the same footing now. This means the team has to find an edge somewhere, anywhere.

Hall Again- I'm glad you see this, too. Many fans only remember the last 2 years under Hall and forgot that he also had trouble his first year. Even Drew Smith, with his miracle season, had trouble completing passes and had to rely on his feet and defensive turnovers for the team to win. Don't let that say that he wouldn't have been a sharp QB if he were still with us, because I'm certain he had the makings of it. Meager is having the usual problems as a new QB, and a lot of fans forget that very rarely does a new QB come in and start lighting up scoreboards.

For Meager- I think he'll be good if he works at it. Many of my friends want to hit the guy with a brick, but I think they need to be patient. Next year, we return JT, Quinn as well as the TEs. I also have this crazy feeling that #49, Brandon Jackson, may take up JQ's torch after he graduates. Barring injury, the offense has the potential to be something really special.

I'd like to see Hall's 1st year stats, Smith's QB year stats compared with a projection of Meager's stats and see how they rank up.

Edited by meangreendork

I'd like to see Hall's 1st year stats, Smith's QB year stats compared with a projection of Meager's stats and see how they rank up.

I dont' remember all the details, but I was at every home game from 1994-2001. Hall played in 9 games his freshman year. He was basically worked into the QB position. We had mostly rag-armed QBs back then and ran an option-based offense. In the opener vs. Baylor (we lost 20-7, I believe), Bridges had one throw for 51 yards. It would've been a TD but the receiver actually had to almost STOP on his route to wait for the ball.

Nothing happened on offense until Scott took over and led the team 80 yards for a score in the 4th quarter when they KNEW we'd be throwing. That was the mark. He was night and day with the other QBs we had on the rosetr in ability.

Hall threw for 937 yards and 6 TDs his freshman year with a QB rating of 123.6 (I believe this is the one you would find listed on ESPN, if it were still on there). He also ran for 230 yards. Again, I think it was 9 games that year he played, but I don't think he started all of them.

My main problem with Meager has been the PHYSICAL ability to make the throws. It might be just his shoulder, but I really haven't seen any touch on his deep balls, and many of them have been underthrown. So we've had to go with a more dink-and-dunk offensive approach which only moderately backs people off the run. The design of the offense has been to GET them to put 8 and 9 in the box so we can hit them deep for big gains on play-action. It doesn't work with screens and flares and 7-yd outs (unless you use the out to set up the out-and-up).

Right now, I think we're making a gamble with Meager that's unnecessary by banking on his long-term potential. I'm hoping to see us rotate QBs more, for the future of the program. At this point, I think there's more long-term value in finding out what we have than winning out in the Belt.