UNT's on the rise

NT80

Tim MacMahon: UNT’s on the rise, but so is rest of Belt

10/24/2002

By Tim MacMahon

NEW ORLEANS — Ask Johnny Jones about expectations entering his second season as the men’s basketball coach at North Texas and he launches into a canned speech.

He talks about how the team never set specific goals last season, simply trying to "get better each practice and each game." An 11-victory turnaround — and the team’s first winning season since 1995-96 — won’t change that basic approach.

"That will also be the goal and motivation this year," Jones said in his usual guarded manner.

He won’t say it, but I will: The Mean Green has a chance to be pretty dang good.

Senior swingman Chris Davis, who will likely break the school’s career scoring record late in the season, is one of four returning starters. That number doesn’t include guard Leonard Hopkins, who will eventually replace Davis as UNT’s go-to guy. Forward Michael DeGrate, a junior college transfer, will have an immediate impact. He probably won’t start though, which is a testament to the Mean Green’s depth and talent.

Add it all up and UNT is picked to finish ... fourth in the Western Division?

That’s what the Sun Belt coaches forecast for the Mean Green in a poll released at the conference’s media days Wednesday in the Big Easy.

As much as I believe in the Mean Green, I can’t make much of an argument that UNT should be predicted to place any higher. Louisiana-Lafayette, New Mexico State and New Orleans were picked to return to their spots of first, second and third, respectively, in the division standings. All three schools also have a wealth of talent returning and a top-notch newcomer or two.

That’s the thing about the Sun Belt this season: There are a lot of teams in the league that have a chance to be pretty dang good.

"People ask me about this league after I’ve been in the SEC and Conference USA," Jones said. "I don’t see much difference. One thing is for certain: Every night that you suit up — and I don’t care where you are — you have to be ready to play."

That will be particularly true this season, when nine of 11 teams in the conference have at least four starters coming back. Six of those teams are coming off winning campaigns.

"You can’t just assume that because you have guys back that you’re going to be good," Arkansas-Little Rock coach Porter Moser said.

You also can’t just assume that the Sun Belt will only get one bid to the NCAA Tournament, as has been the case every year since 1994.

Western Kentucky, the two-time defending champion and a team that will be ranked to start the season, will have to fall flat on its face not to be back in the Big Dance. The league’s best shot at another bid is to have the Hilltoppers lose in the conference tournament, but a couple of other teams might have credentials to be considered for an at-large selection.

Louisiana-Lafayette, which won 20 games and played in the NIT last season, tops that list. Arkansas-Little Rock and New Mexico State would need to make some noise in non-conference play, but they both have schedules that should lead to impressive records while still including a couple of chances to beat name-brand schools.

What about UNT? The NCAAs are probably out of the Mean Green’s reach.

Of course, I would have said the same about a winning season a year ago.