Western's deadline comes, goes

How's this for arrogance ?

"We're in the Sun Belt Conference and the Gateway Conference and we're trying to move those conferences as far as we can get them," Selig said on Wednesday".

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sport...ts/12030333.htm

Posted on Fri, Jul. 01, 2005

Western's deadline comes, goes

SCHOOL STILL WEIGHING ITS LEAGUE OPTIONS

By Keith Farner

HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

After four months of anxiousness from Hilltoppers faithful, it appears a move to the Mid-American Conference and Division I-A football will have to wait.

Yesterday the deadline passed for Western Kentucky University to make such a switch in time for the 2006-07 school year. WKU would face a $500,000 fine if it left the Sun Belt without giving the conference a year's notice.

Athletics Director Wood Selig, who is vacationing on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, did not seem concerned that a move wasn't arranged in time to meet the deadline.

"We're in the Sun Belt Conference and the Gateway Conference and we're trying to move those conferences as far as we can get them," Selig said on Wednesday.

Western has competed in the Sun Belt Conference since 1982. Eighteen of Western's 20 sports compete in the Sun Belt. Football and men's soccer play in the Gateway and Missouri Valley, respectively.

Selig said Western will continue to pursue its options.

"You've always got both eyes focused on your league and its membership and its collective product," Selig said. "But your ears are open for movement going on elsewhere."

In February, MAC Commissioner Rick Chryst contacted Selig for an academic and athletic profile of Western. That was after the MAC presidents voted to look into expansion options without a timetable.

Since then, Western has not heard from the MAC. But the lack of communication has not frustrated Selig.

"I think we're probably in the day and age where there's probably a lot of that going on in the country," he said.

The MAC was interested in filling a void created when Central Florida (football only) and Marshall departed for Conference USA.

One of those slots was filled on May 17 when Temple joined the MAC.

In February, Selig said the MAC is a conference with considerable momentum and pointed to six bowl-eligible football teams last season. He also liked the league's media contracts with ESPN and Fox Sports.

If WKU ever made the move from I-AA to a I-A football conference, the school would be spurred by the million-dollar payouts from bowl games.

In the past, Selig has contacted Division I conferences such as the Atlantic-10, C-USA, the Missouri Valley and the MAC about joining them but was "politely told thanks but no thanks."

Division I-A football carries 22 more scholarships than I-AA as well as a larger budget.

To switch to I-A football, Western would have to:

n Play a minimum of five I-A games.

n Offer 200 scholarships in all of its sports; Western offers 165 now, but football would take care of a big chunk of the difference by increasing from 63 to 85.

n Average 15,000 fans in paid or actual football attendance once every two years. Last season, the Toppers averaged 8,769 fans a game.

Western's football budget is about $1.8 million whereas the average football budget in the MAC is $3.8 million.

In late February, WKU's University Senate formed a committee to look at the possible move and how the university would be affected.

Committee members were upset that they heard about the possible move from the media instead of internally.

They talked about hiring an independent consultant to research the move, but President Gary Ransdell said that money could be better used elsewhere.

Selig and Ransdell said they had spent considerable time researching the move.

"I think internally we're very well prepared," Selig said last week.

Improvements at WKU

Western is in the midst of several athletic facility improvements:

• A committee will choose one of three architectural firms in the next week to 10 days to conduct a $35 million renovation and expansion to L.T. Smith Stadium.

Smith Stadium, a 17,500-seat facility now, will grow to 25,000-30,000 seats in time for the 2007-08 season. The stadium has not been renovated since it was built in 1968.

The renovation will repair floor tiles, ceilings, cracks in the concrete and the air-conditioning system. It will also include some type of end-zone facility that would house coaches offices, a locker room and weight room.

This project also includes the $1.55 million Academic Athletic Performance Complex and a $1.5 million track and field complex.

The project will be completed in phases so it won't disrupt football season.

n An $8 million parking structure between E.A. Diddle Arena and Smith Stadium is scheduled for completion in early August.

n WKU also is working to add 300 seats to the baseball field which would bring its capacity to 1,100 seats.

Edited by MeanGreen61

"We're in the Sun Belt Conference and the Gateway Conference and we're trying to move those conferences as far as we can get them," Selig said on Wednesday".

Wow. Is he saying that WKU is the only horse pulling its weight in this conference? He's making a fool of himself.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, bitches.

Arrogance, or ignorance? I think WKU may have to re-think their bargaining power a bit. Last I checked, they didnt storm the NCAA's in basketball, and they are not much of a powerhouse in any other arena? I wonder what genius made Wood Selig the AD, and he doesnt seemed concerend about ANYTHING? If the move was important enough to the university to consider a consultant. then the AD should take it a bit more seriously. Selig has to be the "Forrest Gump" of AD's...

For the few out there who have not yet jumped on the Rick Villareal band wagon... this is why we love the guy.

GMG!!!

I have no further comment, since I agree with everyone. The thing that gets me is that I have been on Troy's board, FAU's board, MUTS board, etc. and have seen several comments where the SB stinks, we need to get out, we are floating this league, etc.

If anyone would be able to say such things it is UNT. But, you know what, I can honestly say that we are humble, and realize the opportunity that we do have in the SB. It is not the best Conference (it is, however, better than the MAC...so I am confused, for one thing, why Selig would rather be in the MAC than the SB), but it is getting better. If we hang in there, and do stay in the SB, I think you will see in several years more national respect and the acknowledgement that we are a good conference and can compete with the best of 1A.

I just get sick of all the grandstanding, the SB bashing, the hypocrasy, the ignorance, etc.

BUILD THE BELT...GO MEAN GREEN!!! smile.gif

I have no further comment, since I agree with everyone.  The thing that gets me is that I have been on Troy's board, FAU's board, MUTS board, etc. and have seen several comments where the SB stinks, we need to get out, we are  floating this league, etc.

If anyone would be able to say such things it is UNT.  But, you know what, I can honestly say that we are humble, and realize the opportunity that we do have in the SB.  It is not the best Conference (it is, however, better than the MAC...so I am confused, for one thing, why Selig would rather be in the MAC than the SB), but it is getting better.  If we hang in there, and do stay in the SB, I think you will see in several years more national respect and the acknowledgement that we are a good conference and can compete with the best of 1A.

I just get sick of all the grandstanding, the SB bashing, the hypocrasy, the ignorance, etc.

----It is a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World when everyone thinks they are too good for this league. This a four year old league in football and the members need to show patience. None of us are at the level we aspire to be yet but as we (as a group) start winning against well-recognized programs then the league's repitation will improve if several teams are successful.

---Now that the league appears more stable and regionalized with those far western teams gone it should will help our public and self image. We will not look a league of ignored teams that just banded together.

I have no further comment, since I agree with everyone.  The thing that gets me is that I have been on Troy's board, FAU's board, MUTS board, etc. and have seen several comments where the SB stinks, we need to get out, we are  floating this league, etc.

If anyone would be able to say such things it is UNT.  But, you know what, I can honestly say that we are humble, and realize the opportunity that we do have in the SB.  It is not the best Conference (it is, however, better than the MAC...so I am confused, for one thing, why Selig would rather be in the MAC than the SB), but it is getting better.  If we hang in there, and do stay in the SB, I think you will see in several years more national respect and the acknowledgement that we are a good conference and can compete with the best of 1A.

You have not seen SBC bashing on our board......unless it was from an opposing fan....or a one-time-only poster

We are completely happy with the SBC....