DRC: Big recruit commits to North Texas

NTEagle08

Basketball: Big recruit commits to North Texas

08:38 AM CDT on Thursday, September 16, 2004

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Justin Howerton has looked a little out of place during most of his athletic career at Howe High School.

The 17-year-old runs cross country and track, played football for a short time and even participated in tennis. Those endeavors have helped the 6-9, 225-pound senior stand out even more on the basketball court and earn a scholarship offer from North Texas.

Howerton said he originally orally committed to Texas A&M before changing his mind and deciding to attend North Texas. Howerton plans to make his non-binding oral commitment to UNT official later this year.

"I felt like going far away for college was not for me," Howerton said. "I was comfortable at North Texas. It was a relaxed atmosphere."

Howerton also received scholarship offers from UT-Arlington and TCU, among others. Howe coach Tim Rose estimated that he talked to or received letters from 60 Division I schools who were interested in his top player.

That interest is based in large part on Howerton’s unusual combination of size and athletic ability that allowed him to average 16 points, 11.5 rebounds and four blocks a game against overmatched competition in high school.

"Justin has a big up-side because of his athletic ability and height," Rose said. "He is going to get a lot better when he gets into a new environment. At our level he can dominate inside because there is no one who can match up with him."

Howerton has taken advantage of the summer basketball circuit by playing with select teams that allow him to face players his own size. He was a member of the Dallas Mustangs all-star summer team that also included Byron Eaton of Dallas Lincoln and Booker Woodfox of Lewisville.

The Mustangs advanced to the semifinals of one of the top tournaments of the summer in Las Vegas. The extra work paid off for Howerton.

"I learned a lot from playing on that team," Howerton said. "I enjoyed playing with people my own size."

Howerton will be the first player from Howe to sign a Division I college basketball scholarship, Rose said.

"I think that North Texas is a good fit for Justin," Rose said. "He will have the opportunity to come in and play a little early and could start for them later in his career."

Edited by NTEagle08

I've seen him play the last 2 years in high school ball. Unless he really developed over the summer, I just can't see him playing D-1 basketball. He always seemed a little soft around the basket. He dominated at Howe because there's not too many other 2A schools that could match up with him. I would like to see him make it but it seems to me to be a longshot.

I've seen him play the last 2 years in high school ball. Unless he really developed over the summer, I just can't see him playing D-1 basketball.  He always seemed a little soft around the basket. He dominated at Howe because there's not too many other 2A schools that could match up with him. I would like to see him make it but it seems to me to be a longshot.

I'm not prepared to write off a 6'9", 225lb high school player before he even starts getting high level coaching. He probably seemed soft because there was no one within half a foot and 50lbs of him. I'm confident that JJ will be able to help the guy develop.

Don't write him off...from talking to him he has been working all summer and he wants it bad...he says there isn't much comp. in 2A right now for him but he knows in order to play here he has to step it up!  Again i say....this kid is huge!

Thats what makes me a bit more at ease. The talk that there is a fire in him to take it to the opponents no matter what level of competition. Our team needs a little bit of nasty - we just don't have anyone with that right now.

I hope the oral translates into written this spring. He's being brought in at a great time, to start learning from JB and Jeffrey Simpson. Also one of the first recruits that will never work out at the PEB, but instead will go straight to the new AC across 35. biggrin.gif

Recruits are turning down Tech, A&M, TCU, Gonzaga, Arizona State, etc for North Texas. user posted image

Edited by Gakusei

I hope the oral translates into written this spring.  He's being brought in at a great time, to start learning from JB and Jeffrey Simpson.  Also one of the first recruits that will never work out at the PEB, but instead will go straight to the new AC across 35. biggrin.gif

Recruits are turning down Tech, A&M, TCU, Gonzaga, Arizona State, etc for North Texas.  user posted image

Actually Gakusei.....basketball has an early signing period in November. So, we can sign him then.....

We can sign him but he is being very cautious about signing. He was told things by A&M and once he committed those things changed a lot. So he is a little wary right now. Saw him play with our guys, runs the floor great, pretty athletic. Keeps his hands up on defense, not swinging goofy for blocks. Has some maturing to do but the kid doesn't even turn 18 until next May. Wears a size 18 shoe and is 6'10, 230, he is gonna be 7 foot by the end of college. Hell he could be that by the end of high school at the rate he is growing. He is not gonna be a guy that sits the bench a lot, but he is still raw. A year of coaching and not having to be the spotlight of the offense is going to help him tremendously. Could be a guy like Jason Jennings used to be at Arkansas State, but more mobile.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen Justin play a good number of times. "Okay" is a good word for what he is. Not great, not bad, but okay.

Justin is a tough kid who is much more effective on defense than on offense. He does work the baseline hard, and is not intimidated by contact at all.(The Mustangs do not allow soft players to get playing time. They are all tough, regardless of ability level.)

Howerton rebounds fairly well, and he also uses his size well to push people around. He scores a lot of his baskets on putback attempts off of missed shots. However, he is pretty limited offensively after that. He does not have much of a post game at all, nor does he ever display much range on his shot from beyond 5-10 feet from the basket. He is also slow afoot, and does not leap well. He is not uncoordinated, mainly just very slow more than anything.

I was very surprised to see him commit to A&M a couple of months ago. IMO, he does have a Big 12 physique, but not big 12 ball skills.

Edited by scoop dog

Island Eagle - #50 in the state may be about right for Howerton. However, if you look at these lists, you generally do not see players in the #50 range signing with Big 12 schools.

Green buzz - A&M has not had a lot of great post players in the past, but you must remember that their coaching has usually been poor. Gillispie will be a big step up over the last few guys who were in there, so we'll see what he can do.

Island Eagle - #50 in the state may be about right for Howerton. However, if you look at these lists, you generally do not see players in the #50 range signing with Big 12 schools.

Green buzz - A&M has not had a lot of great post players in the past, but you must remember that their coaching has usually been poor. Gillispie will be a big step up over the last few guys who were in there, so we'll see what he can do.

Well, I'm not comparing us with the Big 12 yet. Let us get to UH level and then we can start looking at how to get to the next level. I'm interested in steady improvement and I think this class is a good start in that direction.