Recruiting Question for the experts

If we keep losing all of our best players to the portal and we know that a good high school player is going to leave us as soon as they show to be good why not go for only guys with one year left of eligibility period?  Seems that way you get a proven talent that flat out cannot leave for another program.  That should be the focus or am I missing something?

• Upvote 2

Even if you do that you are still losing them after one year due to them being out of eligibility. At least with a HS kid, I have the chance to try and recruit him to stay as when you are out of eligibility, I cannot. That would be my take.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s more complicated than that imo. Roster continuity matters too. Of course you’ll have outliers that outplay their current competition level and may leave, but a large percentage of your class will be around for 3 years or so. Then supplement positions of need in the portal. 

• Upvote 1

All good points and propositions for sure.

The harsh reality we're confronted with in this era is the glaring absence of strongly enforced, impartial rules, and fair-minded regulations. How can anyone know who to recruit or who to trust in this laissez faire wild-west-anything-goes period of college athletics where Big Schools and Big TV make all the decisions? Where's the NCAA...or Marshall Dillon? The only reason Webster still includes the word integrity is to define something we're missing. We're sitting ducks and for now no matter what we cook up, there's a monster waiting out there with big teeth and a big appetite ready to gobble it up.

We all yearn for better days and better ways. Let's keep searching. For now,we can share that rarely taken path with legendary coach, Pat Summit who said, "Here's how I'm going to beat you. I'm going to outwork you. That's it. That's all there is to it."