Mean Green Baseball on the way

ADLER

Baseball: TCL close to a reality

Announcement pushed back, deal not finalized

09:22 AM CDT on Tuesday, July 13, 2004

By Brett Vito

Denton Record-Chronicle

Staff Writer

A group of investors has delayed announcing an agreement to found a Texas Collegiate League baseball team in Denton.

The group set Monday as its target date to unveil its plans for a team, but didn’t have all the details worked out. The group is negotiating with UNT to split the cost of building a stadium on campus to house the team.

"We are within hours of signing a franchise agreement," said John Hampton, a member of the group trying to bring a team to Denton. "We have one small detail we need to work out."

The group set Monday as its target date for an announcement to correspond with the TCL All-Star Game in Graham.

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said reaching an agreement to build a stadium on campus would be a key step in the school reviving its baseball program that last fielded a team from 1984-88.

"At this point we don’t see any reason an agreement to build a stadium won’t work out," Hampton said.

The TCL is a summer league that features college players. A Denton summer league team would use a field on UNT’s campus after the end of the collegiate season.

UNT would then have the opportunity to field a varsity team that would play at the stadium during the school year.

Villarreal said baseball would be a natural fit at UNT and a key step in improving the school’s athletic program.

Atkinson to turn pro today

Former North Texas golfer Zach Atkinson will begin his professional career today when he plays in the Texas State Open at White Bluff Resort.

Atkinson’s 73.3 scoring average was the best among UNT golfers last season when he was named to the All-Sun Belt Conference team.

Atkinson built on the success he enjoyed during his senior year at UNT by becoming the first player from the school to win the Texas State Amateur title earlier this summer.

The Texas State Open appears to be the ideal event for Atkinson to begin his professional career. He has posted the best score for an amateur at the event the last two years.

Villarreal to receive honor

North Texas athletic director Rick Villarreal will receive the General Robert Neyland Athletic Director Award during the All-American Football Foundation’s Banquet of Champions on Sunday in New Orleans.

Sun Belt Conference commissioner Wright Waters will receive the Contribution to Football Award while Sun Belt assistant commissioner Judy Wilson will receive the Scoop Hudgins Outstanding Sports Information Director Award.

UNT has reached a series of milestones during Villarreal’s tenure, including the construction of a new $7.4 million athletic center that is set to open later this year.

The foundation hosts a series of banquets across the country each year to honor coaches, administrators and athletes for their contributions to football.

Tory Dickey, the wife of UNT head football coach Darrell Dickey, received the First Lady of Football Award at another Banquet of Champions earlier this year.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870.

"We have one small detail we need to work out."

$ $ $ $

First, it was just a land donation on UNT's part, now it seems maybe it's a shared-expense on the stadium construction. This may be our best shot at baseball in the near future but I'll wait until the building starts to believe it will happen.

Could they play baseball in a new football stadium if the field were.... never mind. cool.gif

Edited by NT80

I have a question that possibly some of you seasoned baseball fans can answer. What direction does a batter face in an outdoor baseball stadium? OK smartasses, I'm not asking for "hopefully toward the pitcher" or something, I'm asking if fields are always set with the pitcher facing North, South, East, or West, or are the baselines arranged on direct north/south, and east/west lines?

At the ballpark in Arlington formerly known as The Ballpark In Arlington, I think the batter faces southward, but that's somewhat of a guess.

About the $$$ for the new baseball stadium, I'm happy with the way things are turning out with a co-financed stadium. I think a stadium financed only by the TCL franchise would be designed to predominantly cover their needs and not the requirements of a 40,000 student body which may have a large contingent following the program. Our former AD would have jumped at any deal that would have gotten us a free stadium no matter how obsolete or embarassingly small it was. I think Rick V has much better insight into the real needs of the university and doesn't duct tape & bailing wire everything. We'll wind up with a stadium and a program we're proud to call our own.

Edited by ADLER

I have a question that possibly some of you seasoned baseball fans can answer. What direction does a batter face in an outdoor baseball stadium? OK smartasses, I'm not asking for "hopefully toward the pitcher" or something, I'm asking if fields are always set with the pitcher facing North, South, East, or West, or are the baselines arranged on direct north/south, and east/west lines?

At the ballpark in Arlington formerly known as The Ballpark In Arlington, I think the batter faces southward, but that's somewhat of a guess.

There is no set direction. It varies from stadium to stadium.