UNT 2020 Position Group Breakdowns: Defensive Line

Harry

New Faces:
There are several new faces along the defensive line for the 2020 season, including the position coach, Eric Mathies. Mathies most recently served in the same role during the 2017 and 2018 season at Florida Atlantic. Of the four newcomers on the student-athlete side, only Davontae McCrae had already arrived in Denton. The other three will be joining in either the summer or fall.

"I'm so excited to get started with this group of defensive linemen," Mathies said. "When you come in as a new coach, one of the first things you want to know is how hard a group works and this offseason, I have seen [these guys] work their tails off. I think this group has a chance to develop into a rock solid group."

#2 Davontae McCrae – redshirt sophomore – Miami, Florida (East Mississippi CC)
McCrae arrived in Denton in January as an early enrollee following his transfer from East Mississippi CC. The Miami native was a three-star prospect according to 247Sports, Rivals and ESPN and posted 11 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 2.5 tackles for loss and forced two fumbles during his first season at EMCC. Out of high school, McCrae signed with and redshirted his first season at NC State before transferring to EMCC. He helped lead Northwestern High School (Miami) to a state title and 13-2 record in 2017, the program's first state championship in a decade.

McCrae, who measures at 6'4" and 250 pounds, will have an opportunity to have an important role at defensive end for the Mean Green in 2020.

"I'm a very energetic and emotional guy on the field, but it's all for a good reason. I am trying to bring swag and winning to this program, no doubt. My first impression of [Coach Bowen and Coach Mathies] is they seem to have a great mental knowledge of the games and I look forward to them coaching me for three great seasons [here in Denton]."

Ta'Shoyn Johnson – freshman (arriving in the fall) – Killeen, Texas (Killeen HS)
Johnson measures at 6'1" and 288 pounds and was rated a three-star prospect by 247Sports and ESPN. He earned first team All-District 12-6A honors as a senior last year at Killeen High School. The interior defensive lineman was a two-time letter winner at Killeen and accounted for 66 tackles in those two seasons. As a senior in four appearances, Johnson accrued 22 tackles, 6.0 tackles for loss with a sack, nine quarterback hurries and a forced fumble. During his junior season, he had 44 total tackles, 4.0 tackles for loss, 3.0 sacks and 36 quarterback hurries in eight appearances.

Jonathan Pickett – freshman (arriving in the fall) – Las Vegas, Nevada (Desert Pines HS)
Pickett measures at 6'3" and 260 pounds and was rated a three-star prospect by 247Sports and Rivals and was the sixth-ranked prospect in the state of Nevada in the 2020 class. He finished his senior season with 46 total tackles, 13.0 sacks and 11 quarterback hurries off the edge on his way to first team All-State honors (MaxPreps) and first team All-Northeast League.

Kortlin Rausaw – freshman (arriving in the fall) – Wylie, Texas (Wylie HS)
Rausaw, a 6'3" 259 pound defensive end, was rated a three-star prospect by 247Sports, Rivals and ESPN. He was a two-time first team all-district selection and three-time letter winner at Wylie High School, accounting for 112 total tackles over the course of three seasons. As a senior, Rausaw made 53 total stops, 5.0 tackles for loss with 4.0 sacks, six quarterback hurries, a pair of forced fumble and four fumble recoveries. A multi-sport athlete, Rausaw also lettered in basketball and track and field while in high school.

Read more:  https://meangreensports.com/news/2020/3/30/football-position-group-breakdowns-defensive-line.aspx