UNT students weigh in on Mean Green football

Skipper

UNT students waited a long time to see North Texas football win a game. Between the Mean Green’s lone win last season to their victory against Bethune-Cookman University this past Saturday, 315 days passed.

Indeed, there was football fever around UNT, due in large part to the hiring of new head coach Seth Littrell. Many were eager to see the team back on the gridiron and how he plans on revitalizing the team.

And although 2015 was a tough year to be a North Texas fan, many students have put it behind them and are excited about the new squad. Theater freshman Samantha Matamoros is intrigued by the football team due to her and Littrell sharing a common denominator.

“I’m new, he’s new, so it’s like a fresh start,” Matamoros said. “Since he’s new, obviously he needs some more time to train the football players, so it’s going to take a while for us to get to where we want to be.”

When it was first announced Littrell was going to be the next head coach, many people were aware of his success at the University of North Carolina. He was the offensive coordinator that helped transform a team with seven losses in 2014 to a team that lost in the ACC championship game in 2015. UNC was also well-known for its offense, finishing 12th in the nation in total yards last year.

Aside from his impressive accolades, sociology senior Candice Reilly was intrigued by Littrell for something he does off the field.

“I think what made me excited was all of his funny tweets that he would [send] when he first got hired,” Reilly said. “He quoted Tupac and I thought that was funny. He seems like a good guy. He seems like a family man.”

View Full Article

• Upvote 2