Basketball Talk Wednesday: Week 1

Mean_Green09

Every Wednesday during the basketball season I will be taking the time to discuss basketball. I’ll be breaking down the upcoming games and discussing previous games. I’ll do some video breakdowns as well as providing my HSOs on the basketball season. If you’ve got questions I’ll even take the time to discuss those. So get ready the season is upon us.

http://meangreennation.com/basketball-talk-wednesday-week-1/

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Thanks Mean_Green09 for the blog. I'm wondering how much you've seen of the team to predict the player break down's, projected starting line ups, etc.  I can't see not starting Harris, since they may be limited with outside shooting. Maybe for attitude, but not for play. At least not early on.  

I heard they scrimmaged TCU and SFA- any word on how those went?

• Upvote 3

Thanks Mean_Green09 for the blog. I'm wondering how much you've seen of the team to predict the player break down's, projected starting line ups, etc.  I can't see not starting Harris, since they may be limited with outside shooting. Maybe for attitude, but not for play. At least not early on.  

TCU blew us away in the first half, but we played decent the second half of the scrimmage. I never heard about the SFA scrimmage. 

Also if Harris does not start we have problems....

Reese, Harris, Johnson, Combs, and Brice are expected to start. Watch for Brown, Holston, and Fuller to be solid off the bench!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

TCU blew us away in the first half, but we played decent the second half of the scrimmage. I never heard about the SFA scrimmage. 

Reese, Harris, Johnson, Combs, and Brice are expected to start. Watch for Brown, Holston, and Fuller to be solid off the bench!

The only reason I have Harris coming off the bench is bc they really need an experienced guy with that second group. He is the only guy I trust being with that group. 

Yeah he could easily start as well, but it's not a problem if he doesn't. The real problems are when Combs gets into foul trouble. They've got no other guys who can score down low.

I can't see  Brice starting yet he is too raw. He'd clog up the lane for the guards. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The only reason I have Harris coming off the bench is bc they really need an experienced guy with that second group. He is the only guy I trust being with that group. 

Yeah he could easily start as well, but it's not a problem if he doesn't. The real problems are when Combs gets into foul trouble. They've got no other guys who can score down low.

I can't see  Brice starting yet he is too raw. He'd clog up the lane for the guards. 

I agree, I can't see Brice starting now either. I don't think you can have a true first group- second group scenario, since experience players are slim pickings.

I also agree with Andrew, with seeing Holston, Fuller, and Brown all in the rotation, adding Ketenda (spelling?) as well.

So in the TCU scrimmage- who played decently in the 2nd half? If you know their names, since there are so many new comers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree, I can't see Brice starting now either. I don't think you can have a true first group- second group scenario, since experience players are slim pickings.

I also agree with Andrew, with seeing Holston, Fuller, and Brown all in the rotation, adding Ketenda (spelling?) as well.

So in the TCU scrimmage- who played decently in the 2nd half? If you know their names, since there are so many new comers.

I do not know all the details. I learned from someone else on these boards about the game at basketball madness. I only know Harris lead the team and we fouled a lot in the post.

if Brice doesn't start we are going to have a very small lineup. Fuller and Katenda will not start. Brice is very raw, but we do not have another option. Thomas is going to be missed (even though he never suited up). 

• Downvote 1

I was kind of thinking we would see a starting lineup of Reese, Harris, Holston, Combs, and Fuller (perhaps Brice around the start of conference play).  Any chance of this?  

I bet they would like Holston to start with his 6-7 size and defensive skills. I dont think he is ready offensively to start yet. I bet Benford rolls with the small guard heave lineup and tries to spread the floor. It would also be hard to spread the floor with Brice. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I bet they would like Holston to start with his 6-7 size and defensive skills. I dont think he is ready offensively to start yet. I bet Benford rolls with the small guard heave lineup and tries to spread the floor. It would also be hard to spread the floor with Brice. 

Thanks.  Yeah, I will be very curious to see the combinations they roll out there Friday.  It's tough because there seems to be a lot of backcourt talent, but any lineup that doesn't include Holston will be comprised of guards who are all 6'3 or less, and I wonder how that will fare against D1 teams that almost always have someone significantly taller at the 3.

• Upvote 1

Thanks.  Yeah, I will be very curious to see the combinations they roll out there Friday.  It's tough because there seems to be a lot of backcourt talent, but any lineup that doesn't include Holston will be comprised of guards who are all 6'3 or less, and I wonder how that will fare against D1 teams that almost always have someone significantly taller at the 3.

I brought this up months ago and was essentially called an idiot because we need good guards. Good luck trying to make the argument we need more height around the perimeter.....

• Downvote 1