Dodge’s contract

WIFE2HOT4U

Todd Dodge, one of the most winning coaches in Texas history, will become head football coach at UNT Dec. 26.

Dodge, 43, is widely respected as one of the nation’s most successful high school football coaches for his winning record at Carroll High School in nearby Southlake, Texas. During the five years that Carroll has been designated a Texas Class 5A high school, Dodge has won three state championships and compiled a 77-1 record.

Rick Villareal, athletics director, announced the appointment during an hour-long press conference Dec. 12.

“As a ball coach you have to believe in your heart that you’re at a place where you can win, and I believe that North Texas can win. It has a record of winning and I respect that and look forward to bringing that back,” Dodge told members of the media as well as several Mean Green players and fans who attended the event.

He also said that returning to UNT, where he served as offensive coordinator in the 1992 and 1993 seasons, felt right.

“I’ve been coaching for 21 years and the two years I spent at North Texas were two of my favorite,” he says. “I am so excited and so thankful to have this opportunity to return as head football coach. And making this move is right for my family, too.”

Elizabeth, Dodge’s wife, is a UNT alum, his son, Riley, now a junior on the Carroll football team, attended the lab school as a three-year-old, and his daughter, Molly, was born in Denton.

Dodge talked with the football players and fans in attendance after the press conference, which was emceed by ESPN’s Dave Barnett, a 1979 UNT alum, and also presented by UNT System Board of Regents chair Bobby Ray, President Gretchen M. Bataille and Villareal.

Bataille says the university’s search for a new coach was diligent, rigorous and included more than 100 candidates, but the important part of the process was that it resulted in a new football coach who would be committed to our student athletes.

Villareal says the search process began with the goal of finding a coach with a proven consistent and winning record, a wealth of experience that if possible included collegiate and head coach experience, a commitment to be involved with the community and desire to understand how to build a program in the community and had Texas ties and ties to Texas high schools. The candidate also needed to show a significant want to be at UNT.

Dodge’s contract, which was signed Dec. 12 and begins Dec. 26, runs through August 2012 with a base salary beginning at $185,000 and increasing to $230,869 in 2012. In addition, he will be compensated an additional $75,000 each year for maintaining UNT’s NCAA certification, NCAA Division I level and Sun Belt Conference Membership; completing the season including any post-season NCAA-sanctioned bowl games; and participating in all required radio appearances.

Additional incentives include those for:

• increased season ticket sales

• conference championships and post-season bowl games

• academic achievement of players

• win-loss record

• Top 25 ranking in the Associated Press Poll and ESPN/Coaches Poll

• Coach of the Year for the Sun Belt Conference and/or National Coach of the Year for the Division I Coaches Association.

http://www.inhouse.unt.edu/index.cfm?commentID=1303