Neyland Stadium

UNT90

I was in Knoxville for business earlier this week and had just enough time to do a drive by of the stadium and campus.

Campus is almost a downtown campus right in the heart of Knoxville. The stadium sits just off the Tennessee River (maybe 200 yards or so). I know they boat tailgate on the river, but I didn't see any other designated tailgate spots around the stadium. Also didnt see a lot of close parking, although I think the UNT fans going will probably fly in.

Huge stadium, of course, but it is obvious it has been built in stages, which was kind if interesting.

The campus is kind of old looking (not in a good way) and run down, at least from what I saw. Also not nearly as big as I was anticipating.

The area is very pretty. Very hilly with the Smokie Mountains visible from Knoxville (probable s 30 minute drive).

You can get a direct flight to Knoxville, but it will be on a smaller American Eagle type jet. May be a deal breaker for those fearful of air transportation.

Edited by UNT90

Been to Neyland twice. The boating is absolute crazy. They flood that little port with 3-400 boats. Tailgating isn't designated. They set up shop wherever, whenever. Parking lots, parking garages, the little strip of grass next to the main road that runs beside the river. When Tennessee is winning it's an electrifying atmosphere. My only complaint was the inside of the stadium. The infrastructure didn't allow them to build straight up as opposed to back. So the the "higher" up your seats are, they are also significantly further back as well. My Gators won both trips, fans were obnoxious though, particularly after the game.