UTSA not just another school

Harry

UTSA set an attendance record of 56,743 against Northeastern State, has averaged 35,521 for home games through two seasons and has a coach with a national championship on his resume.

All of this in just two seasons.

"It is almost like this was meant to be," said UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey. "All of it, from the first time we talked about football, has been the greatest experience.

"This move up to FBS football (and into Conference USA) has been much faster than any of us expected. We are ahead of schedule. I don't know if we realize the magnitude of everything we've already accomplished."

From no football to crowds that would make several dozen FBS schools jealous, including much of the current C-USA, UTSA's story is one of the most inspiring in college football.

College football takes center stage on Monday when the Big 12 Conference media days, including Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, kick off a two-day press frenzy in Dallas. Conference USA, featuring defending champion Tulsa, will hold its media day on Wednesday in Dallas.

The Roadrunners will play their first BCS home game when Oklahoma State goes to the Alamodome on Sept. 7. It is part of the toughest non-conference schedule any FBS team in Texas will play this fall. UTSA also plays Arizona and New Mexico before jumping into its first season in C-USA.

Okemah native Larry Coker, hired to build UTSA football from the ground up, begins his third season there this fall.

"To see where we are now and to remember where we were when Larry got to San Antonio are two different worlds," said Hickey. "It has been quite a ride.

"Larry has coached a national championship team (at Miami) yet never complained once when he got here and his office was in a trailer. He's been great. He's worked so hard to make sure we've done everything the right way and he's gone to every event we've asked to try to build our fan base from nothing."

It is apparently working. UTSA apparently has a very strong fan base and growing.

Hickey, a native of Welch, Okla., said when she first went to UTSA as athletic director she was asked what she thought about the school adding football.

"I told them at the time I thought it was very expensive and bad idea," said Welch. "I just thought it was cost prohibitive at the time for us to think about it. Obviously, I've changed my mind.

Read more: http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/UTSA_not_just_another_school/20130722_203_B1_CUTLIN606551