UNT FB Preview: LB

cl_1_2008

Linebacker. Honestly, going by units, I'm more comfortable with our linebacker unit than any other unit on our defense. Leading the pack, we have Jeremy Phillips at OLB. We all wish he would have gained some weight, but at 6'3" 215, it's not like he's tiny. The best compliment I can give him is that he has a better head for football than anyone on the defense. He always seems to be in the right place. He will make plays, that I can promise you. Our starting MLB is Zach Orr. Right now, he's listed at 6' 231...as far as size goes, he's the most appropriately sized LB in quite a while. He's a big hitter with a good head on his shoulders. His best days are very much ahead of him. Our other starting LB is Forlando Johnson. IMO, I think Will Wright or Mike Stojkokic should be in this spot, but I'm not the coach. Forlando is a good athlete, but he's kind of a headcase. Will Wright is a tremendous athlete, but he's more concerned with hitting people than anything else. He may be the best hitter on the team, but until he learns to read the plays and make the tackle, he'll struggle to get consistent playing time. Our other OLB is Mike Stojkovic. He's a straight playmaker. If he's on the field, good things will happen I promise you. Backing up Zach Orr, we have Sean January. He is more than capable of doing this job. He will make plenty of plays this year.

Starter: Jeremy Phillips

Starter: Zach Orr

Starter: Forlando Johnson

2: Mike Stojkovic

2: Sean January

2: Will Wright

3: Derek Akunne

Starter Position Rating: 7/10

Backup Position Rating: 6.5/10

Overall Position Rating: 7/10

Edited by cl_1_2008
  • Upvote 1