Wouldn't It Be Nice...

MeanMag

Patterson has done a great job of "upping" the status of the TCU program. Amazing to me that he is still coaching at TCU, but I am sure TCU pays him pretty darn well, and the TCU fan base is certainly more accommodating than say Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, Mich., OU, etc. It just might be that Patterson like living in Ft. Worth and playing the role of "program saviour". I can recall when TCU couldn't beat the "U. of the Sisters of the Poor" much less contend for a BCS bowl, etc. The fan base was "less than warm" and turnout was terrible. However, the school...yes, the students and the faculty/staff, seem to have "warmed" to the idea that a good football and athletics program can bring good PR and $$$$$ to the university. Good for TCU.

Now, if UNT's student's faculty/staff, etc., etc. (not to mention it's very poor alum support) would "figure it out" I can see UNT making the same sort of transition. Perhaps different challenges for a state university vs a private one, but if TCU can do it...so van UNT. The new stadium will be a VERY big help to UNT. I sure hope we see lots of "rears in the seats" at Fouts this year...on both sides of the stadium...a few rears in the end zone seats wouldn't hurt either...how about $1.00 tickets to the end zones for walk-up ticket buyers on game day? No pre-purchase for $1.00 end zone seats, but game day sales only...how about a few give-a-ways to the pee wee teams in the DFW area...not just Denton...might bring some new fans and get some extra concession sales going...just thinking maybe.....

GO MEAN GREEN! COME ON FOOTBALL SEASON.....

Patterson has done a great job of "upping" the status of the TCU program. Amazing to me that he is still coaching at TCU, but I am sure TCU pays him pretty darn well, and the TCU fan base is certainly more accommodating than say Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, Mich., OU, etc. It just might be that Patterson like living in Ft. Worth and playing the role of "program saviour". I can recall when TCU couldn't beat the "U. of the Sisters of the Poor" much less contend for a BCS bowl, etc. The fan base was "less than warm" and turnout was terrible. However, the school...yes, the students and the faculty/staff, seem to have "warmed" to the idea that a good football and athletics program can bring good PR and $$$$$ to the university. Good for TCU.

Now, if UNT's student's faculty/staff, etc., etc. (not to mention it's very poor alum support) would "figure it out" I can see UNT making the same sort of transition. Perhaps different challenges for a state university vs a private one, but if TCU can do it...so van UNT. The new stadium will be a VERY big help to UNT. I sure hope we see lots of "rears in the seats" at Fouts this year...on both sides of the stadium...a few rears in the end zone seats wouldn't hurt either...how about $1.00 tickets to the end zones for walk-up ticket buyers on game day? No pre-purchase for $1.00 end zone seats, but game day sales only...how about a few give-a-ways to the pee wee teams in the DFW area...not just Denton...might bring some new fans and get some extra concession sales going...just thinking maybe.....

GO MEAN GREEN! COME ON FOOTBALL SEASON.....

I grew up in FW and watched a lot of bad TCU football for many years in the SWC. Of course, TCU has had lots of advantages for being in FW--they are the town's team and they had amazing success in football from the 30's thru the 50's, so history was on their side. It never hurt, either, that Texas, A&M, Arky, Tech, Baylor, and SMU brought big crowds over there to basically fund their program for years down the road. Their athletic endowment fund is very large (like Rice) and they never had to really compete for fans like UNT has had to forever. Then, of course, TCU gets kicked from the SWC and makes their way pretty well in every conference they have been in since then because they have been able to compete with schools that are much more alike in budget and stature. But being in a conference with schools that you can compete with is key to moving upward. If you cannot compete with SBC schools--and FIU beating us soundly two years in a row tells us this--even moving up to CUSA competition for UNT right now would not be feasible because the conference knows we aren't ready for that level yet, like Troy, MTSU, or FAU are at the moment. Look at TCU--they get into the WAC, hire Fran, beat USC in the Sun Bowl, move up to CUSA. They beat ranked schools and do very well in CUSA and the MWC (the mother of all non-AQ leagues) comes calling. The key is winning--but the lock is money, history, and coaching. TCU has all three, SMU has had all three before, we haven't. Only way we can change this is to win the SBC while playing in a new stadium and enjoying the new athletic fee. If any of those don't happen, we will always be where we are on the food chain.