Stoops Or Meyer- Which Method To Rebuild?

Baby Arm!

Any coach who follows Stoops jackass way of coaching is an idiot. When something bad happens to his team he whines. When something happens to another team he always says, "Well I don't see the big deal." OU never needs to rebuild, they need to win a game that matters, and every team OU plays in January is never going to let that happen. Follow Meyer, at least two of your fingers will be covered by championship band.

I am not sure that Meyer actually followed the Meyer model at Florida. He went 9-3 during his first year (a big improvement from Zook's pathetic 7-4 the prior year) and won a national championship in his second season at Florida. Plus, he did adapt his system to the players around him rather than just impose his system. During the 2006 championship year he started Chris Leak, a senior, who was much more of a dropback passer and was not known much for his scrambling ability. Tebow, as a freshman, was brought in on goal line and short yardage plays mixed with some option. The article suggests that Meyer's approach would have had him start the freshman Tebow over the senior Leak, which did not happen.

The biggest difference that I see is that Meyer and Stoops faced very different challenges from the outset. OU had been moribund for some time before Stoops arrived and the turnaround really required a change in the culture of the program. While the Zook era was by no means a great period for Florida, they were not nearly as bad as OU had been under Blake and were only a few years removed from the success under Spurrier. Plus, they went to a bowl every year Zook was at Florida. The one thing Zook did at Florida was recruit so Meyer inherited a pretty well-stocked roster, something that Stoops did not quite have. As for UNT, I think that the situation has begun to look more like what Stoops inherited at OU than what Meyer found.

More excuses from an Aggie fan. Plus, his OU "facts" are skewed. In 1999, Quentin Griffin wasn't the starter right out of the box. Two seniors - Michael Thornton and Reggie Skinner - were lost for the season due to injuries in October. Griffin's redshirt was pulled in November. OU's 1999 and 2000 squads were heavy with senior leadership. Stoops didn't go in there and throw the upperclassmen out the window. Gee, I wonder if that's why the lockerroom stayed cohesive to start delivering championships right out of the box? Probably.

The right coaching hire will have a program off the ground within two seasons. Mike Sherman obviously has a tougher climb being in the Big 12 South than we have in the Sun Belt. Still, the Excuse Syndrome continues in College Station. The problem remains that since Mack Brown and Bob Stoops hit the league, no Aggie coach has been able to come close to recruiting on their level. The Big 12 is Texas, Oklahoma and the other 10. The only program with even a slight chance of ever challenging them is Nebraska with Bo Pelini.

The only way to get respect and get better is to follow the two step plan coaches like Brown, Stoops and Meyer use - stop whining and start winning. Rock and roll ain't no riddle, man. To me is makes good, good sense. Good sense, yeah. Let's go!

More excuses from an Aggie fan. Plus, his OU "facts" are skewed. In 1999, Quentin Griffin wasn't the starter right out of the box. Two seniors - Michael Thornton and Reggie Skinner - were lost for the season due to injuries in October. Griffin's redshirt was pulled in November. OU's 1999 and 2000 squads were heavy with senior leadership. Stoops didn't go in there and throw the upperclassmen out the window. Gee, I wonder if that's why the lockerroom stayed cohesive to start delivering championships right out of the box? Probably.

The right coaching hire will have a program off the ground within two seasons. Mike Sherman obviously has a tougher climb being in the Big 12 South than we have in the Sun Belt. Still, the Excuse Syndrome continues in College Station. The problem remains that since Mack Brown and Bob Stoops hit the league, no Aggie coach has been able to come close to recruiting on their level. The Big 12 is Texas, Oklahoma and the other 10. The only program with even a slight chance of ever challenging them is Nebraska with Bo Pelini.

The only way to get respect and get better is to follow the two step plan coaches like Brown, Stoops and Meyer use - stop whining and start winning. Rock and roll ain't no riddle, man. To me is makes good, good sense. Good sense, yeah. Let's go!

Agree 100%. Though I don't like some of the posts TFLF places on the board, he does cut to the chase and tell it like it is, most of the time.