If It Matters To Anyone

FanofUNT

We are now at 1,731 we are growing by the minute and I think the students are probably fed up and I think the facebook page is a good way to show support. Watch - our time is now... :shifty:

yay for being #1,731! and sorry i didn't join earlier, just stumbled upon it :rolleyes:

Edit: oh, and yay for reading gmg.com forums again! it's been awhile... :(

Edited by untangel4

Is it true that about 75% of the students are for the new stadium?

Probably not. There was an online poll at the NT Daily that showed a 70-30 split in favor of the stadium, but the Daily is apparently going to run a story about their poll that shows it to be 60-40 against the stadium.

Fortunately, the Daily is notoriously inaccurate when they conduct their "random" polls. They predicted Jeff Kline would lose by a landslide, and he won by a slim margin. Students can declare they are against the stadium all they want, what matters is who shows up to vote during election week. I would probably say the UNT population is more like 55-45 in favor of the stadium, and those in favor are motivated to vote.

I want that new stadium for our university so badly....it just has to pass!

or there could be a SGA override, or the BOR override

The Regents can't override he student vote. Only SGA can, and Flyer already said he'd oppose generating such ill will with the student body. If it fails, a new referendum will go out next semester (hopefully in the midst of basketball teams doing well and a great recruiting class for football being publicized).

It's smart politics. He knows pissing off 35,000 possible future donors is a bad idea. Better to try again when you can get a new spin on it. It wouldn't lose time either, because it would be voted on in the same legislative session.

Whether we get a "yes" vote this semester or next, the legislature would still have to vote on it next spring. Our local reps would have a bill prepared to submit if there was a second vote in the spring semester. That's happened before.