Unt Defense

Dodge2007

One thing positive (for our defense) about playing SMU, is that our defense sees the spread every day in practice. SMU's version has its variations that Dodge doesn't implement but none the less, it is a spread offense. Obviously, the same could be said about SMU's defensive coordinator but Mendoza will at least fair better in this opportunity, imo.

Mendoza won't have to worry so much about stacking the box in order to stop the run as he did against OU.

I liked what Todd had to say about going "good on good" this week in order to step up our level of tackling and defensive coverage. He said so, knowing he is taking some calculated risk of some injury. But that was the marching orders of the week, first team going more against first team.

There is a huge difference in the TECH defense vs. OU, talent wise. I expect Danny to have the biggest day of his career throwing the ball. If our OL can protect, our offense is going to score some points.

This is the game for Bennett. He cannot afford to lose this game or his job will be history. WE'LL get SMU's best game and effort.

Edited by Dodge2007

From watching the game last night. The defensive front should be pretty dominant this week. It looked like SMU's offensive line was under sized against TT's defensive line. Also, the secondary should be able to get a few pick's this game. I believe the offense will have much more time to setup and pass and be able to run as well. I was just not impressed with SMU overall last night. I think the speed of the game this week will definitely be more slower than OU. Overall we should win, but I think we are going to have to score at least (4) touchdowns to win.

From watching the game last night. The defensive front should be pretty dominant this week. It looked like SMU's offensive line was under sized against TT's defensive line. Also, the secondary should be able to get a few pick's this game. I believe the offense will have much more time to setup and pass and be able to run as well. I was just not impressed with SMU overall last night. I think the speed of the game this week will definitely be more slower than OU. Overall we should win, but I think we are going to have to score at least (4) touchdowns to win.

Kinda bold prediction right there. I'll tell you what, if we don't do a better job containing the run on the outside, it could be a very long day for us. Both Willis and Martin can hurt you with their feet, and we did not do an adequate job of taking away the outside running lanes against OU. This worries me quite a bit.

Kinda bold prediction right there. I'll tell you what, if we don't do a better job containing the run on the outside, it could be a very long day for us. Both Willis and Martin can hurt you with their feet, and we did not do an adequate job of taking away the outside running lanes against OU. This worries me quite a bit.

I couldn't agree more. Our secondary has me worried too, and I worry that SMU will run those 5 yard slants and complete a bunch of passes for 8-9 yards. Couple that with Martin hitting the outsids as fast as he does, I'm fearful that SMU has the raw speed to exploit the NT defense.

Did anyone see how Martin was blowin' up and running over those TT cornerbacks? They definately came out fired up, and I know NT will be. It should be one hell of a 1st quarter!