New Commitment

Huff

Word from a couple of his classmates is that he has had interest from BCS conference schools that wanted him to play safety. Apparently, Dodge told him he'd be given a serious look at LB where he loves to play. Like I always say, this is just another rumor from some of the kids at Carroll.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word from a couple of his classmates is that he has had interest from BCS conference schools that wanted him to play safety. Apparently, Dodge told him he'd be given a serious look at LB where he loves to play. Like I always say, this is just another rumor from some of the kids at Carroll.

Football: Carroll linebacker commits to Mean Green

Game times set for 2007 season

08:21 AM CDT on Friday, June 8, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

A familiar situation turned out to be the right one for Southlake Carroll linebacker Derek Tomlin.

Derek Tomlin spent the first three years of his high school career playing for Todd Dodge, and will follow his former head coach to North Texas following his senior season with the Dragons. The 2006 first-team All-District 5-5A selection said Thursday that he has orally committed to play for UNT beginning in 2008.

Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day recruits can sign national letters of intent is Feb. 7.

Dodge is entering his first season as UNT’s head coach after taking over the Mean Green’s program in December.

“I committed to North Texas because I am so familiar with the coaching staff,” Tomlin said. “I feel like they are the best staff in the nation. Why not go play for them?”

UNT was the only school that offered Tomlin a scholarship, but he said Wake Forest, Vanderbilt and Stanford had shown interest.

Several of the schools recruiting Tomlin (6-0, 200) wanted him to move to safety because of his size. Tomlin will remain at linebacker at UNT.

“If they [uNT’s coaches] feel like I can play linebacker in college, I believe them,” Tomlin said.

Tomlin’s speed and instincts for the game helped him earn honorable mention Class 5A all-state honors from the Associated Press last season when he finished with 104 tackles.

“Derek is not as big as some, but he makes up for it with his quickness and speed,” Carroll linebackers coach Shannon Wilson said. “It will definitely help him to have played in a system here that is similar to what North Texas will use.”

UNT will return to a 4-3 defense next season after spending last season in the 3-4. Tomlin is projected as an outside linebacker in college.

”I know the defense like the back of my hand because I have been running it for the last three years,” Tomlin said. “I already know my position coach at North Texas. It will be a nice fit.”

UNT’s new defensive coordinator, Ron Mendoza, will coach the Mean Green’s linebackers next season. He is a former Carroll assistant.

“I believe in coach Dodge and his staff,” Tomlin said. “He will turn North Texas around.”

Tomlin is the fifth player to orally commit to become a member of the Mean Green’s 2008 recruiting class.

Today's edition of the Star-Telegram reports that Southlake Carroll linebacker Derek Tomlin as a North Texas commitment. He is listed as being 6-0 and 200 pounds. He finished with 104 tackles during the 2006 regular season.

If he played that well as a junior, he can only get better his senior year + even farther along by the time he sets foot in Denton.