Article On Adam Mccoy Nt Had Been Recruiting Since The Beginning

OldTimer

The college career of Adam McCoy has certainly has its share of twists and turns. After graduation from The Oakridge School in Arlington, the explosive 6-foot-4, 190-pound shooting guard first gave Division I a try at UT-San Antonio before deciding a change was needed. Then after going through a year of not playing at a couple of JCs, McCoy found a fit at Mesa Community College in Arizona this past season. Now he'll come back home to Texas after signing with the Sun Belt Champions this week.

Mesa CC

McCoy will be playing next year at North Texas. "They had been recruiting me since the beginning of the season and I already knew one of the assistants from when he had coached at Richland, where I was going to go before Mesa," McCoy said. "But the biggest thing to me was that they made the tournament and were only one player away from beating Memphis. They're bringing back their point guard and all of their bigs, and all they need is two wings to fill the spots of the guys that left. I'm planning to be one of them."

McCoy took his one and only official visit to UNT this past weekend, the first time he'd been on campus since his AAU ball days with Dallas Hoops Elite (now known as Urban DFW Showtyme Elite). "It's a really big campus, about 34,000 students, and they just built a new recreation center and there are about 10-to-15 different gyms to work on tin," McCoy said. "I like the situation there and the guys that I'll be playing with. It's also only 25 minutes away from my house."

McCoy is anxious to get back on the court at the Division I level and described how he's matured as a player the past few years. "Since UTSA, I've just been working on different aspects of my game," McCoy said. "At UTSA, they tried to make me into a jump shooter and ever since then I've been working on my shot and getting to the basket too. I just need to keep working on every scenario of my game and I'll be in good shape for UNT next year."

This is a pretty positive view of our recruiting effort -- the kid says UNT was recruiting him all year and he made his decision after the NCAA and a single recent visit.

Those who are legitimately concerned about recruiting (see other current threads) might take some comfort.

Also see the thread on jucos versus community colleges (a nonexistent distinction) for the names of some former juco players who made history in the pros.