Just checked my frustration meter....it's off

I'm trying to be as optimistic as I can...but I feel like I'm being sandbagged with too much knowledge (also known as the fear factor) about our first two games this fall. Last fall, we snatched victory from the jaws of certain defeat in our opener in Murphresboro (or however the name of that silly town is spelled), winning somehow, 14-7. Thanks, Maurice for that 99 yard interception return.

The tailgating prior to our opener at Fouts Field vs Tulsa was electric. After taking a 2-0 lead (thanks to their deep snapper), we got our collective bells rung, 54-2. Coach Dickless would say after the game, "This was my worst experiece ever as a coach." Not so fast, football breath. Since you, my feathered mostly bald friend have been at the helm of our football fortunes...we have, admittedly gone to 4 straight New Orleans Bowl, winning one. We have also been clobbered by almost all our out of conference opponents...so I am having to resort to heavy medication just to find humor in all this. Excuse me, while I pop some more pills.

WHEEEEEEEEEE! ph34r.gif

My checklist for progress in the program this year:

1. A discipline well prepared football team.

2. Dress code when arriving a the stadium or on away trips.

3. In game adjustments on offense to exploit weakness in defense or to

combat certain things defenses are doing to stop us.

4. Better quarterback play.

5. No stupid penalties.

These little things are going to be the barometer of DD saying that he is committed to advancing the program.

My checklist for progress in the program this year:

1.  A discipline well prepared football team.

2.  Dress code when arriving a the stadium or on away trips.

3.  In game adjustments on offense to exploit weakness in defense or to

combat certain things defenses are doing to stop us.

4.  Better quarterback play.

5.  No stupid penalties.

These little things are going to be the barometer of DD saying that he is committed to advancing the program.

Amen....especially to #5 and #3.

I suppose #5 is a part of #1, plus #2 should happen if #1 occurs. Coaches (and parents) need to set guidelines and learn how to say NO! and follow through with what they say. All these unsportmanlike and other "stupid" penalities are not funny and the player should be pulled immediately in most cases, then run like crazy the following week. Penalties and turnovers are the two most important stats in determining the winner of a game.

Re #3: I am not a pass-happy person but you need to call some quick, short ones when the opposition just stacks the line of scrimmage preventing running play from suceeding. It backs them off.. plus you may actually make a lot of yards in those situations.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I am reminded of a story that Bill Walton tells about John Wooden.

Walton showed up to practice with a long hair and scraggly facial hair, which was against his "dress code". Wooden told Walton to leave and not come back untill he got a hair cut and shave. Walton tells Wooden that he is going to stick to his principles and not shave or get a hair cut. Wooden then tells Walton that he admires a man who sticks to his principles and that UCLA basketball is sure going to miss him.

Kids want and need discipline. Organized sport is supposed to provide that, and we as fans should expect it from representatives of our university.